Wiring a BT Socket

2 and 5 is correct. But which way round? Don't say it doesn't matter, there is a correct way

If it is a Master Socket then the incoming pair are terminated on A and B, NOT 2 and 5.... If there is no A and B terminals then it is not an Approved Master socket.

Which way round does not matter with most equipment ( modems, routers, telephones etc etc ) will work with either polarity. Some equipment does require correct polarity but the engineers installing these devices will know this and will, if necessary correct, the polarity.

When the phone is not in use :-
A wire white 0 volt terminal 5 ( approximately Ground potential )
B wire orange -48 volt terminal 2 ( 48 volts below Ground potential )

Voltage between A and B is :-
-48 volt when the phone is On Hook ( not busy )
-9 volt ( approx ) when the phone is Off Hook

The following "lessons" are generally correct. ( but they ignore the fact that the Master Socket and it's installation are OpenReach property and service )

Short lesson here

Mire detailed lesson here

Sponsored Links
Judging by the rest of your posts in this thread, and the majority of your posts in general, you haven’t got the first clue what you’re talking about, but I’m sure you won’t let that stop you trying to act like mr superior.

No need for the insults. I do know what I'm talking about. If I don't I either ask or don't post.

Did you get that joke out of your Christmas cracker? :LOL:

MOD: Keep it civil guys, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Ok, I have hooked up the Orange to No.2 and White to No.5 but the dial tone is not there.
See image below.

JH

Attachments

• IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2448.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 133
Excuse me if I'm stating something you've already checked, but have you checked the metal push-fit connectors are touching the wire -- have they broken the insulation and touched the wire inside?

The master socket was very low down on a wall in my house and I wanted to move it. Unfortunately I had about 2 inches of original cable to play with, so I sourced some more wire and extended it with jelly connectors. For several hours I had no dial tone before realising the jelly connectors hadn't pierced the wire. I manually stripped them and used two new ones.

Excuse me if I'm stating something you've already checked, but have you checked the metal push-fit connectors are touching the wire -- have they broken the insulation and touched the wire inside?

The master socket was very low down on a wall in my house and I wanted to move it. Unfortunately I had about 2 inches of original cable to play with, so I sourced some more wire and extended it with jelly connectors. For several hours I had no dial tone before realising the jelly connectors hadn't pierced the wire. I manually stripped them and used two new ones.

Ok, good suggestion. I can't really see if its pierced or not. I'll have to do it manually.
How do I take the wires out again?

JH

Early master sockets were not NTE5 did not have A and B terminals.

Correct, the LJU 2 and similar Master Sockets did not have A and B . But they were not Network Termination Equipment ( NTE ) and hence would not have any DIY internal wiring connected to them. Linesmen installing LJU's knew which wire went where.

Connection boxes such as BT80A and BT80B ( and several other types ) did have A and B terminals which were connected via PCB tracks to the correct IDC terminals .

If I don't I either ask or don't post.

You could try researching through public domain information.......

Don't say it doesn't matter, there is a correct way.
I have a plug-in tester that shows "REV" if the wires are the wrong way round.
However, many of the lines I have tested have been REV, and there was not an issue.
The only issue there may have been in the past was one of old modem equipment but that does not exist today.

in the past was one of old modem equipment but that does not exist today

There are some security related items that are polarity sensitive. A line reversal from the exchange is used to indicate a particular condition. But such equipment is unlikely to be found in a domestic situation

2 and 5 is correct. But which way round? Don't say it doesn't matter, there is a correct way.

If you had looked at the linked picture it would have shown you.
As it happens my first guess was correct.

To OP.

1) Don't route the wires through the screen holes! Knock out one of the knock outs!
2) Yes, you probably haven't pierced the insulation.
3) for info, normally the wire go up the center of the socket, and out to the connectors.
4) Doesn't look like the phone socket is fully pushed in.

Last edited:
Before you reconnected these wires, did you notice if two of the four wires had their ends crimped?

Usually two wires are crimped to the socket socket terminals, and the two unused wires would have neat, undamaged cable ends, often neatly coiled up out of the way.

I have connected the orange and white wires now to terminals 2 & 5 and I have ensured that the contact is made with the wire inside the sleeve.

Yet, my phone still says "Check Phone Line". It's not connecting.

Any ideas?

JH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back