wiring a floodlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a floodlight from B and Q and id like to be able to connect some wire to it and attach a plug to use in my workshop. Is this possible? It has a sensor on it which has 3 wires, red, blue and brown from it to the terminal block.
I want to disable the sensor. This bit was the guy in BandQ's idea he said it would easy :oops: .There are 3 other wires 2 white and 1 yellow/green.

Sponsored Links
I would suspect the 2 white wires go up into the body of the fitting to the lamp, if so simply connect live & neutral to them & remove the wire that goes to the sensor.

Did the B&Q guy's ideas not extend to "Not buying a PIR fitting"? Not often are they on commission, but this guy has blatantly got you to waste money, either through malice or incompetence!

"Hello, I'd like a chair"
"Well just buy this £1000 worth of sit on mower, but don't fill it with petrol, the seat's very comfy!"

Sponsored Links
CallEdsFirst said:
Did the B&Q guy's ideas not extend to "Not buying a PIR fitting"? Not often are they on commission, but this guy has blatantly got you to waste money, either through malice or incompetence!

"Hello, I'd like a chair"
"Well just buy this £1000 worth of sit on mower, but don't fill it with petrol, the seat's very comfy!"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

thx jj4091, yes the 2 white wires go to the lamp.

If I want to make it into a 240V wired plug light then I just buy some cable (called electrical wire?) and a plug. Connect the 3 wires in the cable to the plug and the other end to the block and it should work?

I think the guy was just trying to be helpful because they didn't have any ones without PIR and this one was only 7 pounds and It has a mount so I can put it above my workstation.

dave151 said:
If I want to make it into a 240V wired plug light then I just buy some cable (called electrical wire?) and a plug. Connect the 3 wires in the cable to the plug and the other end to the block and it should work?

I think the guy was just trying to be helpful because they didn't have any ones without PIR and this one was only 7 pounds and It has a mount so I can put it above my workstation.

OMG, this is not the right fitting for the job, nor do I feel confident that all will go to plan. How high above your workstation? What wattage? Can you give us the problem you have and we will give you a suitable solution rather than the lash up path that B&Q have sent you down?

I can just see you burning your forehead on the glass of a 500w TH fitting, or having to move your hands every time the light goes off!!!!

We are here to help, just let us! :LOL:

thanks m8 well, its only a small 150W one. I have a light for the room but this would be nice to give me good light above the workspace. Obviously i would put it a bit farther away so it doesnt burn my forehead :) And you think i can attach a wire and plug? I know you can get ones which are already with a plug :LOL: they had a few but they were much more expensive and also this would be a nice learning experience :cool:

There are many more efficient ways to acchieve task lighting, starting with just a desk lamp, moving to wall mounted anglepoises, then maybe something fluorescent and directional on the wall above. What is the work bench for? Wood work? Airfix Models? Fine Jewellery metal work? Or just a typical toolshed work area? You may think I'm over complicating this, but the wrong kind of light can be both frustrating and unhealthy for eyes.

the halogen light is the wrong light.

You need a suitably long fluorescent lamp, which B&Q also sell. :!:

...unless you are using rotating or reciprocating tools, in which case a couple of spots would be safer.

its for woodwork. As I dont have experience with electrics I went for this because it might be easier/+this was cheap. These floodlights produce a lot of light though right? And It could be moved to suit the workpiece.
In what ways is it bad? I'd still like to know how wire it to a plug because it could still be used to take to jobs.

:arrow: Thanks for your help

you cant take it to jobs as its not suitable. working on any site means you have to have the correct kit, which tis isnt.

Do what you were told in the first place, take it back, its not suitablr for what you want.

you are also going to invalidate any g'tee and posibly your insurance

dave151 said:
can anyone help

Apparently not! Whatever is suggested, you strongly attempt to justify your actions with your own opinion. Not really the point in coming into an "expert" forum.

Many people have told you that the fitting you have bought is totally wrong. How much hardship is it to accept this, and take the good advice of those in the know? Are B&Q likely to kick up much of a fuss over a refund of an eight quid light fitting? Not likely, especially when you tell the manager that a member of his staff wrongly advised you!

Fluorescent batten is the way forward, if you have a lathe, maybe get a High Frequency type (probably not from B&Q) or just an ordinary spot fitting suitable for task lighting, but I would still make this an addition rarhter than a substitute for a good old batten!

If you wanna persist with arguing that your flood will probably be alright because of this that and the other, you will find that this thread goes quiet rather quickly as people neither wanna hear why you think a 150w PIR flood is a good task light, nor try and help someone who doesn't appear to want help.

Sorry if it all sounds a bit harsh, but we really are trying to give you the best advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back