Wiring a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - just had my new shed delivered and erected. Now comes the fun part!
Been a long time since I wired the last one - wanted to check the latest regs re wiring.

Q - For power - should I use metal boxes or can I use standard household ones?
Q - Are there any regulations regarding the shed consumer unit or MCBs?

Any help much appreciated, thanks, Ray :D

Sponsored Links
try a search.

sheds, power to shed power to garage, power to outbuilding, yak yak yak

Breezer - "yak yak yak", though it amused me :) might not be clear to Raymond....

Raymond - the query has been answered time and time again on here - do a search for "outside power", "power to shed", "power to outbuilding" etc. I'm sure breezer didn't mean to be rude but we have all started yawning every time this comes up(!)

Bottom line - for starters you will need SWA (steel wire armoured) cable from the house to the shed. If you can't find the info you need then get back to us with the full spec of what you want to install in the shed. But it really has been covered extensively...

Raymond, sorry if i appeared to be rude, it wasnt intended as such.

thanks ninebob

Sponsored Links
I've just spotted where you are on your world tour.

Aren't those poor b*gg*rs suffering enough right now?

Sorry to be dim on this - I'm Sally - I'm trying to get this info for my Dad Ray.
I have tried all the searches that you suggested but I can't locate what we need. I'd be really grateful if you would post me some links.
We want to have lighting and a large number of power sockets in the shed.
Thanks very much. I really appreciate it.

Sal :p

Raymond said:
Sorry to be dim on this -I have tried all the searches that you suggested but I can't locate what we need.

sorry Sally :cry: i just tried it (again) the information is there.

It is probably best get an electrican in to do the job.

cheers breezer - if you went to the trouble of looking it up again it probably took you longer to type a sarcastic response than it would to post a link.
It's not electrics we have problems with, as such, it's that we are both new to computers - I was trying to show my Dad on his new computer that there is a wealth of helpful and friendly people that he can get to chat with on the net.

We'll ask a mate down the pub.

Sal :confused:

Saturday morning - so a bit more time. Have trawled back through the forum and have indeed found loads of stuff for him on wiring a shed, and wiring a garage as a workshop. Really great we'll get cracking. Still couldn't find what we wanted using the search - but hey-ho!
Thanks very much.

Sal

Raymond said:
cheers breezer - if you went to the trouble of looking it up again it probably took you longer to type a sarcastic response than it would to post a link.

it was not meant to be sarcastic, i did suggest you search in the first place

Raymond said:
It's not electrics we have problems with, as such, it's that we are both new to computers - I was trying to show my Dad on his new computer that there is a wealth of helpful and friendly people that he can get to chat with on the net.

We'll ask a mate down the pub.

Sal :confused:
We are very helpfull here, it depends on YOUR attitude, May i also suggest that when you visit any website, you read the instructions apertaining to that site.

We have a page called "just joined? please read this" in particular number 1 and 10a apply to you. it is here

Raymond said:
Saturday morning - so a bit more time. Have trawled back through the forum and have indeed found loads of stuff for him on wiring a shed
Sal

Again this is what i told you in the first place, which is obviously what you did

welcome to the forums.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back