Wiring fan light. Switch cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
O.K. not really a problem , but I put a fan light in bedroom today, took masking tape up to mark switch cable, opened the rose and was glad to see I had an earth connection (needed) but didn't need the mask tape as the switch wire was twin red + earth. Now I can understand why people flag the black wire to save buying more cable but it made the job so much easier without having to worry about the flag falling off when you pull the cables into the attic (had to move light away from window and it was bloody hot up there!!).
Question is can you still get this as I'm gonna be doing a fair bit of wiring in the near future and I have a reel of 1.5 t+e so wouldn't mind buying a few metres of twin
r+ e.
P.S. 1 week of partying to go !!!

Sponsored Links
Well done breezer, couldnt find it on screwfix meself, why dont all sparkys use this when wiring houses?
Obviously didnt look far enough down page!!

Scoby_Beasley said:
Well done breezer, couldnt find it on screwfix meself, why dont all sparkys use this when wiring houses?
Obviously didnt look far enough down page!!

I thought you said you're sober now !! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: 1 more week of fun eh !! ;)

Sponsored Links
twin red and earth is seldom used because of cost.
100m 1.5 t & e is £11.99 50m twin red & earth is £14.99 which means it costs over twice as much, but considering its only a dye in the pvc that gives the colour its hard to see why it does cost so much.

the other thing is (i presume) if you didn't check first and found you had red twin everywhere instead of normal twin, not a lot of use, perhaps they should make th outer sleaving with red dots on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back