wiring for a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone advise me!
I have just had my conservatory fitted and the electrician fitted 4 double sockets and 2 fused spurs( 1 for a outside socket 13amp to a mk waterproof socket and the other a RCD fused spur for my underfloor heating this will be 10 amps). He did this as a ring, leaving the two ends behing a socket in my kitchen.
However a different guy has wired them up as follows: he has joined both ends of the cables to the same socket rather than 1 to the socket and the other to the socket next to it. Hence he hasn't maintained the ring main but in effect I have a ring main off a ring main! is this ok? or should it be changed?

Sponsored Links
hotspot007 said:
... in effect I have a ring main off a ring main! is this ok? or should it be changed?

No, it's most definatly not ok.
Yes it should be changed.

Get the 2nd guy back in to fix it properly, though from the sounds of it might be better to get another "proper" electrician in - maybe the first one?

hotspot007 said:
is it safe? or should i disconnect it while i wait for a spark?

should be rectified ASAP. get the spark back. was he qualified to do the work and why did 1 spark do the wiring and another connect up?

Sponsored Links
sounds like he has kept the ring, are you sure he hasnt put one cable with the original and joined it and the other new cable with the other original into the socket front? its what i usualy do !

just before everyone rights off the second spark when they dont know the situation.....bit rushed lads!

the original guy was definately a spark (saw his van etc) however he was on holiday this week and the conservatory company are on notice to get the conservatory finished by friday! So the guy who did it is a builder who said he can do electrics!!!!!!!
If hes not a spark can i report the conservatory company and if so to who??

no he has definately put the ring of the conservatory into 1 socket. the socket now has four wires (4 lives and neutrals etc) the socket next to 1 in question is still fed from this socket!

also how does this apply to "part P".
should I get a certificate after installation is that what part p is essentially?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

I have just checked the socket again!
I have 4 live wires going into the live connection of the socket.These are 1 from the feed,1 going to the socket next to it, and 2 feeding the conservatory ring.
No cables are joined together behing the socket front. All cables enter the socket terminals!

please note 10a

pdcelec said:
Did the second guy tie his horse up outside and scratch the floor with his spurs?.
dont be silly, spurs dont touch the ground ;)

WX-SPURS-01.jpg

hotspot007 said:
If hes not a spark can i report the conservatory company and if so to who??

LABC i.e the council's building control department. I would like to hear the outcome too.

Just spoke to the builder and hes quite upset at me questioning his work......he said he has wired it as a ring and if I know what im talking about then do a "loop impedance test" as he has done to prove it.....is this right what is the purpose of a loop impedance test

just got home and checked socket again, the builder said he had crimped the two wires at the back of the socket, im scared i am making an ass of myself here.
To clarify there are no crimps. what i have is as follows: the original two cables going into the terminals of the socket ( the original ring 1 feed and 1 going to the socket next to this), just cable stripped back. I now also have the other 2 cables from the conservatory also going into the terminals of the socket, again just the cable stripped back.
So i have 4 live into the sockets live terminal,4 neutral into the sockets neutral terminal, and 4 earth.
Is the cowboy blagging me or am i an ASS???
Please help

hotspot007 said:
Just spoke to the builder and hes quite upset at me questioning his work......he said he has wired it as a ring and if I know what im talking about then do a "loop impedance test" as he has done to prove it.....is this right what is the purpose of a loop impedance test
Does he have a clue what he is talking about? You don't use a loop impedance test to determine the continuity of final ring conductors. What do you call his horse again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back