wiring for a conservatory

You CAN wire a ring from a double socket that is part of an existing ring.

You wire one end of the new ring to one leg of the double socket - crimping L -L, N-N and E-E.

With 2 cables left now you just wire them both into the existing double socket.

Remember the two twins that are not connected to the socket are in theory now just passing through- there are no connections to any parts of the socket.

Voila ! you have made the ring now larger but still one continuous ring.

Remember to check continuity Before and after job, and test etc.

If you electrician was worth his salt he would have thought of / done this.

Having dejavu

get who did job into fix it (if you trust them)

Sponsored Links
hotspot - you seem pretty certain about what you've got, and the bull that the builder spun you about a loop impedance test shows that he either knows FA or was deliberately trying to bamboozle you.

Only one thing - did you speak to they guy who actually did the work, or the one who runs the company he works for? It is possible, I guess, that that Bucky Sparks is bull****ting him as well.

If you like, take a photo of the back of the socket and post it here, but there is a fairly obvious difference between crimps and 4 wires into each terminal, so I don't see how you could get it wrong.

If you've been speaking to the organ grinder and not the monkey, send him a copy of the photo. If you have been speaking to the plonker himself, just forget him - go back to the original conservatory company who got him in, and raise merry hell. Threaten them with Building Control, Trading Standards, any "Federation of Conservatory Builders" that they belong to, and say that if they don't sort it asap you will get an engineers report, you will get an approved contractor to fix it and you will take them to court to recover the costs of all that.

In my post above I originally mistyped "company" as "comany" (in "did you speak to they guy who actually did the work, or the one who runs the company he works for?").

Spell Check suggested cowman as the correct spelling.

Love it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah i have been speaking to the "builder" who completed the work. I think hes just trying the bullying tactic.
I have sent an email to my LABC with a picture. See what happens!
Cant get the photo on here though....dont know how to?

Sponsored Links
Here is the pic from the OP:

Click image for larger image

Adam

hotspot007 said:
cheers adam!
So was I right????????????
COWBOY or am i an ASS

You're right, installer is a cowboy, hope his horse didn't eat your flower borders in the garden.

Easy enough for someone who knows what they are doing to put right though, crimps in the back of the box as our folically challenged electrical installer suggests, then test

Certainly looks like it could be an inter-connected ring main. The final test to see is to:

Turn power to sockets off & check power is off with multimeter
Disconnect and separate out all 4 red wires.
In turn, check for resistance with a multimeter between the individual red wires.

If you have two separate closed circuit resistances i.e. two loops then it is an inter-connected ring.

+++++++++++++

Also, in the original post you say you have a MK waterproof outside socket fed from an FCU, is this an RCD type socket or FCU or RCD in the consumer unit?

hi,
The company are sending a spark tommorrow to sort out my wiring. Now my question is: Will he have to conect the cables at the back of the socket using ratchet crimps and crimp connector or can he use chocolate block connectors (the clear/black screw connectors)
Thanks everyone who has helped me on this!!!!!!

Either would be acceptable, but he might (very likely) have trouble fitting choc block connectors in the back of the box, so I should imagine he would crimp them

Adam_151 said:
Here is the pic from the OP:

Click image for larger image

Adam

the "cable feeding next socket on ring" bit in that diagram worries me. The entire point of a ring is to allow power to flow round the ring both ways. Are you saying that only one of the cables is live when everything is disconnected if so you have a broken ring which needs to be dealt with.

plugwash said:
Are you saying that only one of the cables is live when everything is disconnected if so you have a broken ring which needs to be dealt with.

Where did the OP say that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back