Wiring intermediate switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 lights in my hallway controlled by 3 switches, which all need replaced.

I purchased 2 x 2-way switches and 1 intermediate switch from Toolstation. I have an issue identifying which cables should go to and the old and new switches are not labelled the same.

1) The current intermediate switch is labelled as 1 & 2 at the top, and 1C and 2 at the bottom:

current intermediate.jpg

The new intermediate switch (Axiom from Toolstation) is labelled L1 and L2 at the top, and L3 and L4 at the bottom.

new intermediate.jpg

I could not find the wiring diagram for the new switch. Anyone would be able to advise on where the cables should go onto the new intermediate switch?

2) One of the other switch to replace is a 2 gang 2 way. The right part controls the bathroom light, the left part (view from the back) controls the hallway lights which we are interested about:

old bathroom switch.jpg

Shall I simply connect cables from pin 1 and 2 in the above photo to 1 and 2 in the one below? And 1C from the above to the COMMON below?

new bathroom switch.jpg

I am a bit confused because it says intermediate on it, but seems to be a 2 way as expected, hence the reason for asking.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I have 2 lights in my hallway controlled by 3 switches, which all need replaced.
I am a bit confused because it says intermediate on it, but seems to be a 2 way as expected, hence the reason for asking.
It looks to me like the manufacturer uses the same moulding for both 2 way and intermediate models and simply fits or omits the extra contacts and terminal depending on which they are producing.

So the plastic moulding has the labeling for both 2-way and intermediate switches.

Sponsored Links
I agree, it seems that other suppliers are doing it, I got 1 way switches using the same moulding as 2 way mouldings, just with terminals missing.

It looks to me like the manufacturer uses the same moulding for both 2 way and intermediate models and simply fits or omits the extra contacts and terminal depending on which they are producing.
Yes, the enlarged pic shows the words Intermediate with two arrows pointing down to both bottom terminals, and 2-WAY with one arrow pointing to the left hand bottom (C) terminal.
Its not so obvious for the unwary.

Although I made sure to wire the 3 switches (2 x 2 ways and 1 intermediate switch) the same way as they were before, it looks like I made a mistake.

The light only lits in the following 2 scenarios:

Switch sequence.png

Do you think that inverting the Live and Neutral on 2 way switch 1 (ie the first of my 2 way switch) would fix the problem?

Below is the photo of the first 2 way switch:

2 way switch 1.jpg

Below is the photo of the intermediate switch:

intermediate switch.jpg

Below is the photo of the 2 way switch 2:

2 way switch 2.jpg

I will give it a go, thanks.

If that does not work I will troubleshoot using my multimeter, I should be able to get to the bottom of it.

PS: what is the most efficient way on troubleshooting intermediate switches installations using such a tool?

If we had pics at a different angle which included the wires going into the grey sheeth we maybe able to spot the problem.

Basically a red and black next to each other should go into the same grey sheath.

Ok, basically the red and black coming from the same sheath plug into pin 1 and 2 of the 2-way switch, then the remaining "standalone" wire connects into the Common pin, is that right?

To make it less complicated do away with the intermediate for now, join red to red and also join black to black, then you have just 2 way, get that working first then refit the intermediate later.

Andy & EFL, you were spot on, had to swap the red wires around from the single 2 way switch, now the red and black from the same sheath are connected to 1 and 2 of the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back