Wiring Standard Extractor Fan In Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I have a standard (not timer) extractor fan that should come on when light cord is pulled. The mains cable to the fan has blue, red and yellow wiring and the fan has 2 black wires going into a junction box. I\\\'ve connected the red and yellow from mains to the junction box but the fan works when the lights are off then goes off when the lights are on! This may sound dumb to the experienced but is there something obvious I\\\'m missing?
Many thanks for any advice... :(

Sponsored Links
Haha, yes, you've used the wrong cores. You have wired your fan up to live and switched live, which means that when the lights are on there is no potential difference between these conductors, but when you turn the lights off there is mains potential. (Although how the circuit is actually completed is a bit of a mystery)

What on earth made you decide which conductors to use in the first place, or was it a purely random choice? Whatever your logic, or lack of logic, it indicates that you really shouldn't be playing with electricity - somebody might get hurt.

You need the neutral - probably the blue conductor - and the switched live - probably the yellow. But you should identify exactly which is which before you start mucking about.

If you didn't understand this, it makes me wonder what else you may have done wrong. (terminations, means of isolation, marking of conductors and basic testing immediately spring to mind.) Please call somebody who does this for a living and get it done safely.

Cheers for your help, I've isolated the permanent live and used switch live and neutral...all works now. Now all I need to do is sort out the hole in the ceiling(!)
M

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back