with Electric prices to rise...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone noticed any increase in lighting switched by pir's in dwellings ?

Do you think this is something that domestic customers would want ?

I fit them in schools , offices etc but as we dont do a lot of domestic installs then thought Id ask on here..

Thinking of them in my own house as kids leave lights on etc...

also something to turn games consoles off after x amount of time would be nice too :evil:

Sponsored Links
I fit them in schools , offices etc but as we dont do a lot of domestic installs then thought Id ask on here..

So your reason then!!!!!! Lost count the number of times I have been taking a dump in the office stall when the lights go out.
I end up jumping up and waving my hands about like a mad man to get the bloody lights back on then :LOL:

Five minutes is insufficient time to deliver the goods and read the newspaper.
Next time you fit them............have mercy and us poor users and add a few minutes please - at so I can read the sports section.

is it worth it with low energy bulbs
pay back would be years
and with leds further reducing consumption 60% you can light a whole house like an xmas tree for pence a day[1 unit] or fit sensors and save say 5p a day

So your reason then!!!!!! Lost count the number of times I have been taking a dump in the office stall when the lights go out.
I end up jumping up and waving my hands about like a mad man to get the bloody lights back on then :LOL:

Five minutes is insufficient time to deliver the goods and read the newspaper.
Next time you fit them............have mercy and us poor users and add a few minutes please - at so I can read the sports section.

ha ha the exact same happens in our unit .. its a tentative rock forward to trigger the pir and if that fails then a slow stand followed by a worrying look behind :)

Sponsored Links
pay back would be years
and with leds further reducing consumption 60% you can light a whole house like an xmas tree for pence a day[1 unit] or fit sensors and save say 5p a day

good point

pay back would be years

my downstairs lights = 640 watts so maybe time to change the fittings as each fitting takes between 5-7 halogens.

has anyone noticed any increase in lighting switched by pir's in dwellings ?

Do you think this is something that domestic customers would want ?

Thinking of them in my own house as kids leave lights on etc...

also something to turn games consoles off after x amount of time would be nice too :evil:

In my opinion the humble "switch" has a long career ahead of it. PIR controlled lights are fine for limited applications. You could simply plug entertainment systems into a timer to switch them off at night etc...

Also, I see quite a lot of PIR sensor failures - another consideration.

You still need a switch in a house. We've had PIR in hallway for several years. Great. No problems and no fumbling for switches in the dark. Ace for visitors. I would not use in rooms (pointless) or on staircases (dangerous).

I have only put them in a couple of times and on the second time I was asked to remove them by the customer as they were driving her mad. :D

Lost count the number of times I have been taking a dump in the office stall when the lights go out.
Buy a disposable lighter.

Cheap as chips, and generate a lot of IR.

I have only put them in a couple of times and on the second time I was asked to remove them by the customer as they were driving her mad. :D
I can't think of any situation where I've encountered PIR controlled lighting indoors where I didn't very quickly know that if I had to live with that all the time it would drive me mad.

You do need to spend some time choosing the right position, setting up and shielding some parts of the detector. If done there should be little nuisance. The biggest problem is where the detector covers a doorway. Works as it should; door opens light comes on - unfortunately if door is open and people move about inside room near doorway then it will turn on. No way to avoid this.

Take a ruler in to the number 2's room, when the lights go out, wave the ruler and enjoy your sports section.

Good Day.

pay back would be years
Does the life of CFLs with integral ballast suffer if they are switched on and off too frequently?

any room or area i will normally use on more than 3 occasions at night will be left on with a total consumption off less than 40w[500w equivalent] for all 6 lights or 4p for a days lighting and possibly save 1p a day or £3.65p a year by worrying about those unesisery lights :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back