Increased Electricity price for the power tools uses?

My Flymo sucker/blower is 3 kW, ....
That sounds like an awful lot of power for something which does not involve any heating!
but I will still use it to clear the leaves rather than using the chain saw attachment and going down to get petrol and mixing it with oil for the chain saw, and still likely cheaper to use electric to using petrol as for one the electric is more powerful so used for less time.
Whether a sucker/blower, a chain saw or any other sort of power tool, the average householder/DIYer is going to use them for such relatively short periods of time, and probably only very occasionally, that their use will surely have minimal impact on the totality of their electricity bills, won't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That sounds like an awful lot of power for something which does not involve any heating!
I can confirm, the couple of Flymo leaf blowers we have are rated at 3kW.
...and it really does need (most of the) 6kW to get the hovercraft off the ground... :)

Last edited:
I can confirm, the couple of Flymo leaf blowers we have are rated at 3kW.
...and it really does need all 6kW to get the hovercraft off the ground... :)
I used to have a petrol engined leaf blower, again from ScrewFix, and it worked great.
But it had to go when I was selling off all the petrol engined tools in the shed. I kinda miss it especially this time of the year :(
These days I just use a long handled broom to clear the falling leaves. It is more time consuming chore now with the elbow grease work, but with the worsening energy crisis maybe it wasn't bad idea getting rid of most of the power tools i used to own.

The only power garden tool I have is now a Bosch Hedge Trimmer. It does good job.

The hedge trimmer and a strimmer, are the only electric garden tools I have, I had to buy a replacement trimmer a few weeks ago, the rubbish plastic gearing on my not that old one, began to fail last year, but I managed to prop it it for another year.

I bought a petrol chain saw three years ago, to cut a tree up which fell in a storm. I bought a petrol brush cutter/strimmer a few years ago, I didn't find much use for it and eventually gave it away.

The only problem is the electric chord, and this summer, I managed to sever it with the trimmer cutting the heavy bush off, the orange coloured chord became invisible at one point mingled with the bush stems, and the trimmer blade went through it while cutting :(

Everyone does that, me too ;)

Sponsored Links

I can confirm the hover mowers are quite power hungry, I used to use a large one to cut my grass. It would take up much of the day and was hard work.

Whether a sucker/blower, a chain saw or any other sort of power tool, the average householder/DIYer is going to use them for such relatively short periods of time, and probably only very occasionally, that their use will surely have minimal impact on the totality of their electricity bills, won't it?

Kind Regards, John

I too thought that high but, it is indeed 3000w

If you need to do some DIY needing a power tool, one is still going to use it, but with many you have the option of petrol power or electric, I can't see that electric or petrol prices would cause me to change which I use, it is more down to hassle to run out lead and wind it up again v going down to buy petrol and mixing in the oil, and pulling at the starter string.

In my case it is also the problem with any tool which vibrates, due to injury to my hand.

But Sunday was up a pair of step ladders against the apple tree taking down a high branch, and I tried with two hand saws, and was not getting very far, so Scorpion saw it was, even that was hard, but my chain saw on a pole and could not safely manurer it within the tree, will use it for outer branches, but being electric or petrol never came into reason to select, more down to safety.

If you need to do some DIY needing a power tool, one is still going to use it, but with many you have the option of petrol power or electric, I can't see that electric or petrol prices would cause me to change which I use,
Of course it wouldn't, unless you were daft. As I said, the amount of time that power tools are 'run' by a DIYer are so small that the fuel cost is far too trivial in relation to the totality of fuel cost to warrant talking/typing about it!

Kind Regards, John

its worth pointing out a tool where you can vary the load like a drill'saw'router will spend most off its time at perhaps 15-30% rated power and only for the the time its on and drawing power

its worth pointing out a tool where you can vary the load like a drill'saw'router will spend most off its time at perhaps 15-30% rated power and only for the the time its on and drawing power
All true, but it doesn't alter the fact that, even if always at 100%, drills and routers are used by DIYers for such short and relatively infrequent periods of time that they are very unlikely to have even a noticeable effect on total energy usage/cost.

Kind Regards, John

All true, but it doesn't alter the fact that, even if always at 100%, drills and routers are used by DIYers for such short and relatively infrequent periods of time that they are very unlikely to have even a noticeable effect on total energy usage/cost.

Kind Regards, John
indeed thats sort off the point i am making that its not worth consideration other than a 3000w leaf blower will cost 1 unit after 20mins so save the effort and spend 45p or use a rake and waste an hour off your life :D

indeed thats sort off the point i am making that its not worth consideration other than a 3000w leaf blower will cost 1 unit after 20mins so save the effort and spend 45p or use a rake and waste an hour off your life :D
Yes, but a leaf blower is an exception, rather than the norm - most DIY power tools are a lot less than 3,000W and are more likely to be used for a few seconds at a time, not 20 mins.

Kind Regards, John

I have asked this question in the other DIY forums as well. But will ask here too.

Just wondring if the recent increase in electricity price will impact on the use of the domestic power tools such as using shop vacs, power hose, electric drills and saws ...etc.
It is now 4 times the price of electricity compared to the last month, and they say it will keep going up.
Do we have to watch what power tools we use and for how long to monitor how much it will all add up to the electricity bills?

No, it's an absurd question. Consider the cost of running a tumble drier for an hour, or a single fan heater or panel heater or immersion heater for several hours a day, every day, all winter

With the electricity used by a drill or other power tool

Some customers turn heating off and it's too cold to work. Most is too hot to work in winter so I hope this year will be better.
I know. I'll push my van to cotswolds tomorrow and knock off my travel cost to offset electricity I use! Ha

Penny pinching is a form of ocd I heard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back