Increased Electricity price for the power tools uses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have asked this question in the other DIY forums as well. But will ask here too.

Just wondring if the recent increase in electricity price will impact on the use of the domestic power tools such as using shop vacs, power hose, electric drills and saws ...etc.
It is now 4 times the price of electricity compared to the last month, and they say it will keep going up.
Do we have to watch what power tools we use and for how long to monitor how much it will all add up to the electricity bills?

Sponsored Links
If you need to use them, you use them. Dont know what a shop vac or power hose is mind

Just wondring if the recent increase in electricity price will impact on the use of the domestic power tools such as using shop vacs, power hose, electric drills and saws ...etc.

For most people, doing the odd bit of DIY - their use of such tools is quite rare, so unlikely to impact on their bills.

My shop VAC is a large 2000W Chinese Made from Screwfix, and the power hose is a Bosch 2500W, so they are quite powerful and electricity hungy motors. I was going to use them ther other day, but thought to myself, noooo I better watch the electricity bill, and didn't bother. :(

Sponsored Links
i dont think i would as a DIYer stop using tools thinking of the bill, if i need the mitre saw to cut wood , then i would use as before , i dont bother to get it out and setup if its just one or 2 straight cuts, more because of the time it takes to get the stand out setup and connect the mitre saw to it and connect up - by which time i could have cut the wood with my circular saw

BUT if its needed for the job, then i would use - I dont leave on anyway , for safety i always switch off when not in use

I have a Henry as a vac , and again i only use when doing a lot of cutting, BUT i do work in a garage with 4 windows and often have the garage door open anyway and usually work near it

i have always switched lights off when not in use

And now switching things off at mains - rather than on standby - and also considering all electric use

But if i need to charge the battery for Hedge trimmer or Dewalt cordless tools to use , then i would

My Flymo sucker/blower is 3 kW, but I will still use it to clear the leaves rather than using the chain saw attachment and going down to get petrol and mixing it with oil for the chain saw, and still likely cheaper to use electric to using petrol as for one the electric is more powerful so used for less time.

My Flymo sucker/blower is 3 kW, but I will still use it to clear the leaves rather than using the chain saw attachment and going down to get petrol and mixing it with oil for the chain saw, and still likely cheaper to use electric to using petrol as for one the electric is more powerful so used for less time.

I got rid of all my petrol engined tools. Petrol is also not cheap, but having to mix with the oil and cleaning them up was just too much hassle.
They are great when they work fine, not having the electric cables and chords dangling about, so I could move around freely when working. But like everything else, they have goods and bads.
And I used to worry if fire might errupt with all the petrol cans and oils stored in the wooden shed. Now no more worries in that regard.

basic sums
2000w for a whole hour 2 units or 2x45p call it under 2p [1.5p]every minute to keep it simple

2500 nearly 2p[1.875]

I got rid of all my petrol engined tools. Petrol is also not cheap, but having to mix with the oil and cleaning them up was just too much hassle.
They are great when they work fine, not having the electric cables and chords dangling about, so I could move around freely when working. But like everything else, they have goods and bads.
And I used to worry if fire might errupt with all the petrol cans and oils stored in the wooden shed. Now no more worries in that regard.

Long extensions can be equally dangerous! Long ago I wired my largish garden up with a number of sockets - 5 at a quick count, just for convenience for plugging in hedge cutters and mowers. I found such mowers slow and expensive to run. Tried petrol walk behind, still slow. I ended up with a little tractor mower, which is much, much quicker, uses less petrol than a walk behind, because it is so much quicker and I don't have to walk behind it, nor stuggle to start it, just turn the key.

Yet another reason for me to buy a baby tractor when I get the garden flattish- always wanted one :)

Long extensions can be equally dangerous! Long ago I wired my largish garden up with a number of sockets - 5 at a quick count, just for convenience for plugging in hedge cutters and mowers. I found such mowers slow and expensive to run. Tried petrol walk behind, still slow. I ended up with a little tractor mower, which is much, much quicker, uses less petrol than a walk behind, because it is so much quicker and I don't have to walk behind it, nor stuggle to start it, just turn the key.

The only power garden tool I have is now a Bosch Hedge Trimmer. It does good job. The only problem is the electric chord, and this summer, I managed to sever it with the trimmer cutting the heavy bush off, the orange coloured chord became invisible at one point mingled with the bush stems, and the trimmer blade went through it while cutting :( I had to join the cable with the rubber tapes, and it is back to operational.

For cutting grass, I got rid of both petrol and electric mowers a few year ago, and got a good hand push mower. Luckily my lawn is not too large, and it is hand push mowable in 1-2 hours. It is also good fitness workout equivalent of about 40 minutes in the gym :D

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back