Wood Burner Fitment, Tiles Etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

In the middle of haveing a wood burner fitted in my livingroom.
What can I use to decorate the inside of the fire place?
The air gap will be about 150mm each side, 100mm to the rear and about 500mm above.
I am thinking something like:

Fireboard, then paint? Would this look like chipboard painted though?
Pleaster then paint? Will this crack or do I need speacial plaster?
Tile? But what tiles would be ok???
Or are there other options?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Tiles would be fine... The board that I use paints up very well when emulsion is used...If you are having it plastered, then use heat proof plaster as ordinary gypsum will degrade and fall off with the heat...Problem is heat proof plaster is a swine to use and to get a good finish with

Hi,

Thanks for that!
Do I need a specific type of tile? I don't went them to crack etc.

Cheers!!

Sponsored Links
To my surprise, ordinary emulsion worked fine for me......there was one spot around the back of the burner that was a little scorched, but it was difficult to see anyway.
I vermiculite around the sides and back of mine, and then tiled the front.....Mrs B liked it, so job done :p
John :)

I find that cheap contract paint works bests it seems to have less binder in it but the base pigment of light coloured or white paint is Titanium Dioxide which oddly enough is a fire retardant

I'm not in that house just now, sorry - but I'd guess at 100mm......this was just to the rear though - loads of space to the sides and top so almost anything would do there.

I think there a good chance....I did ask the supplier to recommend a suitable flexible adhesive though, which was mixed from powder.

the two sides and the back are all engineering blocks (Breeze blocks) could I just tile straight to these?
Will the tiles crack with the heat?

Going from memory here, but if I recall, I used a lime rich mortar to plaster the fire opening. Then painted with standard emulsion. The lime, of course, allows movement of the mortar.

Apart from a few hairline cracks, it still looks like new, some 2-3 years down the line.

Yep, if you want it plain, that's the way to do it.....mine did start to crack at the back, but the latest stove (Morso Squirrel) has more internal fire insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back