Wood in wall!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well after suffering issues with damp located on my exterior wall near my air vent we have started to strip back to the brick ready to tank the interior of the wall. When doing this we have found what looks like a bodged attempt of filling up the wall, where I believe an external door used to be. We're now just unsure what to do about it, we've been advised to block up the air vent as this was apparently only left because due to their being a back boiler installed, we changed this and installed a new boiler years ago so were planning to brick this up. But am now not sure if this is the best thing to do or how to go about it, any advise helpful!

Sponsored Links
Are you being professionally advised on the damp problem?

Tanking a wall above ground is not normal, and tanking a rendered wall is certainly not the thing to do

Removal of the airbrick will depend on whether you really have penetrating or condensation damp

If you seal that timber in with tanking, it will rot

Sponsored Links
1. An attempt to Tyrolean finish coat your render appears to have been attempted. Perhaps its failing and holding moisture - eg. a patch is missing, and a crack is noticeable to the left of the cable.
Plus, the render appears to have ground contact.
Have the remains of a doorstep(s) been left in place?

2. Your interior FFL appears to be dead in line with the external ground level.

3. As above, the fixing pads and any other timber will have to be removed.

4. Perhaps, remove the skirting and examine the skirting back, and the wall/floor junction.
Skirting would traditionally have been fixed with wood plugs in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back