Woodchip hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i moved into my home it had woodchip in one of the bedrooms. I painted over it to freshen it up and got on with the rest of the house, i am now looking to get rid of the woodchip as it is horrible stuff does anybody have any tips on taking it of without taking chunks of my wall too :(

Sponsored Links
Easist way I found was to scour it first with a pan sourer or wire wool or glass paper just gently, all you are doing is breaking the surface down a little. Then use a Steamer, they are quite cheap these days. It may be that after scouring just wetting the walls with a sponge, you will need to leave it awhile to soak in, will do the trick.

Either way be very careful with the electrics...as you probably know water and electrics dont mix and are an absolute NO NO..!

I had to get rid of woodchip from a plasterboard kitchen ceiling - that had been painted several times...a real nightmare...

I bought one of those scourer things (circular scorer?) -but it was exhausting work just getting it through the paint (might have been easier on the wall though) - could only do it in 5 mins bursts and actually found a stanley knife easier...

After scoring - a steamer holding it place for 5 min + (too hard work) ...then I tried wallpaper stripper (chemical stuff) - added boiling water to cornflour to make a paste, cooled and then added the chemical stripper spread over scourered area and covered with plastic sheet (a old carrier bags) to stop it drying out - left for several hours -paper peeled off in one piece - like a dream ....as long as it didn't dry out - then it was worse...(you can buy something that in principal works like this -but expensive)

After doing less than half the ceiling -and it taking hours and hours and hours
I finally got a long handle heavy duty stripper (razor blade type) - to strip the paint and chips off - then a wet cloth for lining paper left...rest of the ceiling only took an hour or so
Fantastic thing - does have a tendency to dig in - but I found if I used it with one side facing the ceiling it was fine ....and in a perverse kind of way it was very satisfying and I quite enjoyed it :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back