worcester 28cdi driving me mad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
initially an engineer was called as the hot water light started flashing rapidly and the only way to reset it was to power off and turn on again. At this point the radiators only ever got luke warm. He changed the air pressure sensor and got the radiators up to heat and for a short while it seemed to cure it but now both the central heating light and the hot water light flash rapidly at regular intervals cutting the boiler out. Is there a particular reason why both should be tripping out? The advice has been to change the pcb or get a new boiler! I would expect a more logical approach to eliminate the cause. Any ideas gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Obviously this is a job for a competent boiler engineer.There are several reasons for this fault code.Most of these require access to the combustion chamber.If your boilerman has access to the fault finding sequence then it should be a fairly easy fix,but it is not a diy job.Very fixable and no reason to change the boiler as suggested.What I can tell you is that the air pressure switch is the last thing I would have changed.

thanks for your reply. worcester do a fixed fee call out for £215 - I am going with this as Im confident they will logically deal with the problem

I get the impression 45years knows what it is and it's not overly costly. Why won't he just say so you can get a couple of quotes? Crazy.

Sponsored Links
Quite simply there are several good reasons why he has not said anything:-

He is not engaged to do the repair.
He is not being paid to do the repair.
He has not inspected or tested the boiler.
Some of the tests and causes are gas related and not for publication on a forum.

I should have expected a competent independent to charge closer to HALF of the Worcester price to fix it! But I have not been at the boiler either so I cannot be 100% sure whats wrong.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Joe 90,I have a good idea what the fault is and as it involves combustion chamber work then no advice can be given on this forum.It would encourage all and sundry to attempt to fix a boiler without the slightest idea of how to prove safety.You've been lurking around for sometime now and should read the forum rules.

Well, like Tony, if you'd hinted at the cost involved the OP wouldn't have gone for a fixed fee. You can give a clue without saying how you go about opening the CC.

I'm not on here to give clues,just correct advice,so I don't need advice from you in this matter.

There not both tripping out they are giving you a fault code. For some reason we are not allowed to tell you what it means but the instruction manual you must have been left with by law will tell you exactly where the fault lies.

Both demand lights flashing fast means it's in MIN or MAX mode. If it's doing it intermittantly then it's obviously not been left in either of these modes so it could be the PCB.

The HW demand light flashing has been fixed with a new APS by the sound of it as this hasn't reoccured since it was changed.

This fault info is in the MIs or even on the back of the front case so I can't see the problem in repeating it on here!

Is there another reason both demand lights could flash rapidly at the same time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back