worcester greenstar 40HE PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a 40HE condensing boiler 2 and a half years old, when i turn the hot water on after a while EA flashes on the screen and the hot water stops. I have switched the boiler off at the plug and left it for approx half an hour, then i can get hot water again for a while until the EA flashes again. I have tried this several times and the same thing seems to happen. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you mend it, any advice would be really appreciated, i have had another fan put in today but it has not solved the problem,
thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Who put the fan in for you?

Have you been charged for the part that you did not need?

I am sure I have had this fault before...is EA the code for a fan problem??

The one I repaired had to get a new PCB also as it seems that the fan can take the board with it unfortunatly!

EA is no flame sensed.

Sounds as though its to do with the flue, as they are getting hot water and then it drops out, classic case of flame lifting and no ionisation/rectification sensed.
Possibly only needed a good service.

;)

Sponsored Links
EA is an ignition fault...can be loads of things.

My first port of call is always to check that the condensate is clear.

Also, if you read the instruction book it will tell you how to check the "ionisation current". Its in the servicing section, if its incorrect then it will give a big clue to the fault.

I take it the "fan changer" checked the above though, or maybe not.

Thanks for all the replies, cant beleive how quick the replies were.
The chap who tried the fan didnt charge me as he has the same boiler he took out of his house recently, so thankfully he will not charge me for the parts until he finds the right one that is needed. He is Corgi registered and only charged me £65 on saturday to put in a tr2 thermostat and service the boiler, i put the wires in , he was here a couple of hours so i gave him £100 which i thought was fair.
thanks again for replies , brilliant
Andy

EA is an ignition fault...can be loads of things.

My first port of call is always to check that the condensate is clear.

Also, if you read the instruction book it will tell you how to check the "ionisation current". Its in the servicing section, if its incorrect then it will give a big clue to the fault.

I take it the "fan changer" checked the above though, or maybe not.

Well er, Yeah but no, but yeah but no but yeah.

I see where your coming from John, but,
when i turn the hot water on after a while EA flashes on the screen and the hot water stops. I have switched the boiler off at the plug and left it for approx half an hour, then i can get hot water again for a while until the EA flashes again.

This tells me ignition is there and then ionisation is lost,
could just be a dirty sensor, damaged lead or obstruction in flue.
I'll plum for the dirty sensor ( neck on the line emoticon)

Condence trap:cool: Good call John ;)

;)

i will tell him all your replies and post back with the fault when it is mended, thanks for all your replies, great bunch, cheers,
Andy

i am afraid you will have to keep scratching for a while, replaced pretty much all the bits except the main circuit board , that will be tomorrow night now , thanks again, Andy,

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Then somehow the GV is being closed, possibly as temp reaches 8'c above set point, but the board is still trying to serve a demand and this is why no flame is sensed.

Ask your RGI to check the DHW sensor aswell.

I await with baited breath :(

;)

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies, the boiler is now working , it had to be the last thing checked ,
yes, the main circuit board, its the first time my friend has had to replace one, it had to be mine, at last i can have a wash
thanks again everyone
best wishes
Andy

With you saying main board a some of us will thinking, "what caused the board to go duff, and evm more of us will be thinking, is this why W/Bosch are a bit tight on offering five year warrentee.

Tim(a, I hope W/B are reading this, emoticon)

i hope whatever caused it doesnt happen again as i reckon the board will cost an arm and a leg, it has put me off buying another one as they are pretty expensive and i expected more than 2and a half years without a major fault, just the luck of the draw i suppose, oh well its only money
cheers Andy

WB are overated...they perhaps appear a little more reliable but that's really just due to the better installation standard that tends to go with a more expensive boiler.

Out of the 5 Juniors (old Band D) I installed, 3 have required circuit boards within just 3 years of age.

1 had rivets missing that hold the combustion chamber together.

2 leaked on initial filling (that required an immediate visit from Worcester).

And 1 had a warranty visit within the first year due to pump flange leaks.

Pretty appalling for such a simple boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back