Worcestor 9.24 Combi no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
aaaah, theres no hot water coming from the bathroom taps, its only coming out cold. Only when i turn the tap up very fast can i coax out a bit of hot water . . . then it doesnt last long.

Only happens when heating is off ie. when i get up at 5am. :evil: everythings fine when heating is on.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Probably just the diaphragm in the diverter valve, but could also be the complete valve. Check the condition of the diaphragm first though....nice easy one.

update: it appears to be getting worse: there is no hot water when the heating is ON as well now. It comes out hot to start with - this is obviously the hot water in the boiler, but when thats gone, it just goes thru luke warm and cold.

British Gas man came out today, told me it could be the system pressure, but as the heating was on he couldnt do / see a lot :?: anyway he topped the pressure up to 2.5bar (gauge only goes up to 4!) but this will go down when the heating's off.

Will be getting BG back to it again, obviously will turn the heating off between 12 and 6 :rolleyes: so we all freeze . . . but i want to know what the problem could be, so i know he is not lying to us.

The boiler has been there for best part of 15 years, and has served us well untill now. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Cheers matey, ive also looked on a couple of other forums about this (not as good as this forum though of course), and they same the same: diverter valve. £90ish they said. Glad we're covered!!!!! ;)

By the way, do they fit a lot of Worcester boilers in Worcestershire? ;) :LOL:

3 visits from BG later, problem still not sorted.

visit 1. heating on - engineer said couldnt do much but topped pressure up and said if it happens again call them out.

visit 2. heating off - thing at right hand side of big red container near bottom of boiler found to be problem (diverter valve?) (looks a bit like a gas regulator at first glace)

visit 3. wrong part ordered :evil:

visit 4. monday morning. :rolleyes:

8) Im not familiar with this particular boiler but if its anything like the 24cdi I can understand why they didnt fancy changing it. It can get to be a bit like pass the parcel when you work for a big company, you hope somebody else gets to fix it.

There were 2 9.24's early one's a dog to change the dv which is at the back on the right, later one ok. Nowt like the cdi. This sounds like the older one. Thread here(?) recently.
They used "Heatslave" on some and "Electronic " on some, a bit of overlap...

as the heating was on he couldnt do / see a lot
WHO decided that it couldn't be mended because the CH was on!!

ChrisR, the first guy that turned up said as the heating was on, he couldnt test it, as i had first thought it only occurred when the heating was off. It later transpired that it doesnt work anytime.

This boiler is the "electronic" model. The part the third guy was trying to access was at the right hand side next to the big red thing, near the back. Had to take the controls off the bottom and everything (big flappy bit collapses down with all the buttons on), and then he had the wrong part. :evil:

been today, replaced whole diverter valve assembly, and now its dripping :evil: anyway, they will probably be back this afternoon to fix it all. The guy didn't even run the new valve in - it is my understanding that he had to empty the boiler of water to fit this part - he left it till he had gone for me to turn the heating on, and it made the most hideous noise! Anyway, its working fine now other than the drip, through all the electronics at the base of the boiler. :rolleyes:

ChrisR said:
This is BG??? :eek: :eek:
yes, why? We aint best pleased with them.

EDIT: They sent an engineer a couple of years ago, to do a yearly safety inspection etc. He took the cover off, had a quick look, and said, yup all's fine. No paperwork, nothing, he just left and drove off. He was sweating cobs, it being high summer, and looked like he had seen better days, think he just wanted to get home, but at the cost of our safety? I dont think so. Think he got the sack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back