worktop jointing disaster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, just wandered if anyone could suggest anything, im fitting worktops with a trend router jig, when cutting the female joint the jig moved backwards slightly. i then had to recut the joint slighty deeper and shape the male joint and it looks like it should pull in when bolting. But then i had another disaster after cutting the connector joints, when i began tightening one of the joints were the bolt grips, it blew, so i recut one slightly over to the centre of the worktop away from the faulty connector joint and the same occured. so now i have one connector joint which isnt enough and no more room for another joint.
i spoke to a joiner ive worked with who is, alot more experinced than myself and he said this will more than likly be due to faulty worktops as he has never had this happen before. anything suggested will be really appriceated.
cheers kd

Sponsored Links
Nut threads are very low geared and have a lot of force behind them. My guess is you simply over tightened them. What with the spanner leverage and the geared thread there are huge forces at play. They are only supposed to be tightened firm - not used to pull badly fitting joints together.

I think you'll have to start again.

cheers mate. the joint actually isnt to bad though with abit of playing around it will be acceptable, is it not good enough to use something as a clete or will this eventually open up?

you could try some metal stretcher plates on the under side spanning the joint if that would help

Sponsored Links
It's the fault of the worktop material more than anything else, regurgitated wood, is not the strongest of materials.

thanks for your comments really appriecated and helpful. i actually managed to cut a small connector joint by drilling with spade bits, sounds a bit of a botch it i know but seemed to have worked and the joint looks good! huge wieght lifted!haha. ill know for the future to secure the jig properly and be careful when cutting the connector joints! thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back