Worktop Overhang advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping for a bit of input on a kitchen island im just about to install.

We are having an island 4x2 base units, so 2400 x 1200. Laminate worktop (one piece).

The wife wants a breakfast bar in oak overlapping the laminate at one end, but without an upstand!!

The oak would be 2000 x 600. So i was thinking having a 300 overhang on the width, and a 600 overhang on the length.. (see pic)..

2mwxpuw.png

Now im sure that the 300 overhang will be fine, it's just the 600 overhang that im worried about! I was planning to screw from underneath through the laminate into the oak, maybe even adding a few plates/large washers for extra support etc.

Whats your thoughts? i don't want that 600 snapping if someone leans on it.. I've seen it done, so jusy after some advice..

Sponsored Links
Will look very strange, especially placing one worktop on another of differing construction.
You don't mention the crucial measurement , thickness of the oak.?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back