Would I find an SDS drill and bits useful........?

I don't see a decent keyed chuck 'falling apart' by being used on a 1.5 or 2J SDS drill. Considering similar chucks have lasted decades on normal hammer drills, they're not just going to fly apart by being used on a low end SDS a bit.

Monkeh,,, The way that the sds+ drill hammer action works is totally different to that of ordinary hammer drills. It will ruin the keyed chuck beyond repair.
In an sds+ drill the hammer action is made by a sliding bar that strikes the end of the drillbit inside the drill. In an ordinary hammer drill this is done by a ratchet affair.
Believe me I lent an sds+ drill to my mate complete with the adaptor and keyed chuck. It came back a few days later and he'd used the keyed chuck with a masonry bit and hammer action. The chuck was totally ruined.
These chucks are designed to take ordinary wood or steel drill bits and not masonary bits when used with an sds+ drill

Sponsored Links
I am aware of how the equipment works. I still don't see a decent quality chuck simply failing. I'll just have to try it for myself when I can justify the drill.

I don't see a decent keyed chuck 'falling apart' by being used on a 1.5 or 2J SDS drill. Considering similar chucks have lasted decades on normal hammer drills, they're not just going to fly apart by being used on a low end SDS a bit.
Aye but they was Jacobs chucks not Jack Lobs from the YUK fu iron works on the banks of the Yangtze :rolleyes: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back