Would you be happy with this tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, my tiler has finished his first day of tiling and I am not happy with the results, he has not grouted yet so not sure if that will make it better but I don't really want to settle for a poor job, I not sure if I am being fussy or not but seems like he has not used tile spacers in a lot of places or used them incorrectly let me know what you think?

2016-01-06 20.35.42.jpg 2016-01-06 20.35.36.jpg 2016-01-06 20.35.26.jpg 2016-01-06 20.35.20.jpg 2016-01-06 20.35.17.jpg 2016-01-06 20.35.08.jpg 2016-01-06 20.34.57.jpg 2016-01-06 20.34.51.jpg 2016-01-06 20.34.43.jpg

Cheers
David

Sponsored Links
Those crosses should be inside the joints, so they hold the vertical spacing right as well as the horizontal ones. The big thing is that when you run your hand over the surface, non of the tile corners stick out. The joints while being being only of an amateurs first attempt standard, will look a lot better when grouted.
Frank

I've wondered why they make them cross shaped. And why you use one per corner when you could use two.

Whether it's acceptable depends on how much you're paying.

I am paying him for 2 and half days labour, which is £150 + materials at £110 (8 square yards on wall and 4 square yards on the floor), I was considering tiling the bathroom myself as I had done most of the work in redoing the bathroom but was wanting to get it done right by a tiler and I feel I could have done better than this myself, I have also noticed a bit that is much worse than those, and I have attached a picture, also the tile lines do not line up well in the corner, I have been told that grout will make it look much better but I do not know how much better.

2016-01-06 21.44.52.jpg 2016-01-06 21.45.10.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm no expect but my tiling looks better than that, and they've fallen off once.

I'd have words in the morning, tell him not happy and that you don't want him to carry on and pay what you think the work he's done is worth.

mmmm as above,looks like he is relying on the grout to hide the mistakes.

You pay peanuts what do you expect: £8.30/hour!

But it does look shoite.

He arrived at 10 this morning and stayed until 3, he has half a days work left tomorrow from what he told me. Thats more like £15 per hour, he came recommended from the plasterer and also from the place I got the tiles from.

seriously? you want it doing on the cheap and you expect professional results?
it'll look better when its grouted and you got what you paid for

Well if you are paying for two and a half days work then tell him he can spend the remining day and a half redoing it or fook off. even £15/hour is cheap for a good tiler.

seriously? you want it doing on the cheap and you expect professional results?
it'll look better when its grouted and you got what you paid for

I got a quote from 3 different tilers and they were all about the same price, I went with this guy as he could do it the soonest, I have spoke to several people and that is the going rate where I am for any tradesman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back