Would you be happy with this tiling?

Sponsored Links
No you said the going rate was £8.30 an hour. You were quoted £150 for two and a half days labour. That's £8.30/hour. Its not off topic its extremely on topic. You pay peanuts you get monkeys.
I am paying him for 2 and half days labour, which is £150 + materials at £110

No you said the going rate was £8.30 an hour. You were quoted £150 for two and a half days labour. That's £8.30/hour. Its not off topic its extremely on topic. You pay peanuts you get monkeys.
I am paying him for 2 and half days labour, which is £150 + materials at £110

That was a typo in my original post and I then clarified that it was a day and half in a post after that and more like £15 per hour.

As mentioned £15/hour is still cheap for a good tradesman. Besides its still shoite even for £15/hour. Yea some grout will help but those joints that don't line up at all will never look right. I'd sack him and cut your losses. Or give him the option to redo them.

Sponsored Links
Well it's a miracle anything gets built right at that rate.

/oh wait ....

I meant £100 a day is going rate for tradesmen here, now would you stop going off topic when you clearly do not know what you are talking about.

I didn't get your math..

If you're saying 100 a day is the rate, then your job is either ONE and a half days, or its 250 quid

FWIW, I didn't get FMT's math either - 2.5 days is 20 hours, and 150 quid divided by 20 is £7.50/hr - even worse

ps, thoe tiles don't look to be rectified so some of the problem may be due to them not actually being the same size..

Does he actually claim to be a skilled tiler? Or just an odd job man? Is he foreign at all? (That makes me sound really racist doesn't it! But maybe he's not familiar with our type of tile spacers or something)

Anyway it looks awful. If you let him finish the job like that, you are sure to regret it every time you look at it. You could ask him to rectify it, but from the standard so far it seems unlikely that he would be capable of doing it any better a second time around. Tricky. On the one hand I would feel guilty about not paying him anything, but on the other, the work is not worth anything. :S

Ah, yes I forgot that some trades do full 7.5 hour days and knock off early on fridays:)

Pretty poor in my opinion. When it is grouted those tight vertical joints will jump out and slap you in the face unless the grout is dark to match the tiles.

If it's tiling on plasterboard it's pretty rough, but if it isn't, and the wall is out of true then that will throw out the tile geometry somewhat. Put a straight edge across it and see if it has humps and hollows.

That second set of pics, that corner joint is rubbish and should be broken out. There is not enough room to get grout in the joint right in the corner. I have just dealt with some tiling like this in my son's shower cubicle. The corner non joint leaked like a sieve. We had to put on an external filet of silicone to fix it.
NOTE TO ALL READERS :- Never tile right off any surface (kitchen surface, door frame, tiling etc.), you must leave some decent room for grout or silicone goo. A wide grout joint in a corner, say up to 6mm, does not look too bad if finished off properly.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back