Wylex Oven Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently been doing some renovation work on my kitchen and have noticed that the dedicated cable from the Wylex fusebox to my single oven is using 2.5mm cable which I believe is rated 26amp. That's fine because the single oven is only 10amp, but the fuse in the box is 30amp.

Is that a mistake or what you would expect to find?

Presumably I should change the fuse for a yellow 20 amp Wylex fuse?

Sponsored Links
I'll check the cable later to make sure, it looks like standard ring main cable. Yes it is a rewireable fuse.

Obviously I couldn't have a double oven running on this cable, but the current single Bosch oven is only 10 amp.

I'll check the cable later to make sure, it looks like standard ring main cable. Yes it is a rewireable fuse.
Ok.

In that case then, assuming the cable is not running through thermal insulation or the like, then a 20A rewireable fuse would be fitted as a matter of course.

Obviously I couldn't have a double oven running on this cable, but the current single Bosch oven is only 10 amp.
However - there are allowances for cooking appliance circuits, such as the omission of overload protection because a cooker cannot cause an overload and -

what we call diversity because not all the elements will be on at once even when all turned on (probably not applicable to a 10A appliance).

So, technically what you have is probably satisfactory.

Of course someone might have put 20A or 15A fuse wire in the 30A holder.

Sponsored Links
Presumably I should change the fuse for a yellow 20 amp Wylex fuse?
No. Rewirable 20A fuses cannot be used with 2.5mm cable.

A cartridge fuse or circuit breaker might be suitable, but changing devices in an obsolete fusebox will achieve very little.
If you want a higher rated circuit for a double oven or cooker, then a new circuit is required, and a new consumer unit to go with it.

Rewireable fuses have a much higher fusing factor, typically around 2, and cable ratings based on those for circuit breakers must be reduced accordingly.
Assuming best case for 2.5mm² at 27A with a circuit breaker factor of 1.45, that's only 19.6A, which rather obviously is less than 20.
Although it's a small difference, it's below 20A.

Omission of overload is not appropriate for an installed circuit where the appliance at the end of it is undefined.
Even if it was a known item incapable of overload, it still depends on other factors, it's certainly not guaranteed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back