Xmas Lights Transformer

Yes John is right see below.

If I can now explain a bit more for those who may want to know why VA is not always equal to watts in some situations, it is all to do with resonance (reactance) really means how everything around us has so called natural resonance, if you strike a glass thimble, it will produce a decaying high frequency in kilo herts sound waves, same way if you strike a big base drum, it will produce very low frequency under 100 herts, so when we instead of striking it with our stick, we use a voltage stick to strike, we have to then strike it such that it will use minimum power to continue to produce that sound wave, so our voltage stick must be matched to the resonant frequency of the object, for example if the drum was vibrating up and down, and if we struck it to go down whilst it was coming up, we would be opposing it more, so we would need more energy to make it continue to produce sound wave, but if the drum's skin was already going down naturally then we would only need a gentle strike to it to continue to produce constant sound pressure wave, another example would be a swing, you would push the swing when it is swinging away, but if you pushed it whilst it was still swinging towards you, you would not only disturb its swing but also spend a lot of energy to swing it in opposite direction.

So most ac electrical circuits using inductive components (Like electrical motors or transformers with coil winding in conjunction with their parasitic capacitance) have so called nature resonant frequency, but our mains power is fed at 50hz, so this does not necessarily mean the voltage peaks of our mains will be happy to supply the load in exact sympathy with the natural resonant frequency of the load, so this then boils down to power factor, and it can be corrected using capacitors to change the resonant frequency of the inductive load such that net power comes down, and it is often referred to as matching load impedance with the source.

But yes in practice we need not worry too much about such issues as most inductive loads are matched to mains frequency at manufacture level, thus when you buy an electrical appliance which says 230v 50Hz, it means it has been designed to operate on that frequency, it may draw more current if the supply frequency changed to say 60 Herts.
so for most practical purposes we need not bother with power factors particularly on our single phase domestic appliances, it only becomes more relevant at high powered industrial appliances, so sleep well, I was just merely trying to explain what a power factor means in terms of matching an inductive load to an ac power source of fixed frequency.

There is a whole load of formulas and sine waves and angles and what not involved and I don't feel very comfortable going there as I never had any need to.

So for our daily lives, using everyday devises and for most appliances running within their designed power levels, we can deduce VA as equal to watts, of course if you were drilling a half inch hole in a thick metal sheet using a 400watt Black & Decker, at some stage it is going to come stuck and start drawing well over 1000 watts and overheat, because a stalled motor or a motor that is under heavy load is not running at a designed comfortable speed so its resonant frequency changes , it starts to produce less of so called back EMF and so start using far more current as it tries to catch up to its designed speed, so it will need to draw more power.

( i must add that in my example of a swing, is just an example and perhaps totally opposite to what goes in electrical inductive loads, here incoming voltage is opposed by so called back EMF voltage generated by all inductive loads, so for example a motor free running, let us say at 2000 rpm, with no load, generates say 200V and incoming volts applied to it is is 230 but of opposite polarity, here the net result is (+230)- (-200 )= 30v so out motor is drawing power equal to a 30v net supply and since its windings resistance does not change, and let us say it is 10 ohms, so it draws 30/10 = 3amps, our motor is using 30v x 3amps = 90watts, but now say it is subjected to a load, and its speed drops to 1500 rpm, so now its back EMF also falls so instead of producing 200v it is now producing say 170V, so now the power being used by that motor is (+230)- (-170) = 60v and since its windings resistance has not changed and is still 10 ohms, so now it will start drawing 60/10 = 6amps , so it will now be using 60 x 6 = 360watts !)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes John is right see below.
I'm glad you agree :)

However, although I do not really disagree with what you have written in your lengthy post, resonant frequency really has little directly to do with PF (the relationship between VA and watts). I think there are simpler ways of explaining PF!
There is a whole load of formulas and sine waves and angles and what not involved and I don't feel very comfortable going there as I never had any need to.
As you imply, in practice those here will not need to concern themselves with such complexities - the simple relationship between VA, Watts an PF that we have discussed is all they need to know, although an understanding of phase angles will also help.

Kind Regards, John

i saw on you tube how some sellers are conning people and to convince that you can reduce your energy bills substantially by adding capacitors across your loads!
all they are probably doing is bringing a power factor say from .89 to .99 or so.

Here is one I saw long ago,

Last edited:
i saw on you tube how some sellers are conning people and to convince that you can reduce your energy bills substantially by adding capacitors across your loads! all they are probably doing is bringing a power factor say from .89 to .99 or so.
I wouldn't have thought that changing PF ought to affect energy bills, at least not for domestic consumers, since they are charged on the basis of a true wattmeter.

Suppliers obviously do not like PFs which deviate significantly from unity, since it can have an (adverse) impact on the current flowing in their distribution network.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Just to bring matters down to my level the replacement transformer arrived today and the Christmas lights are working perfectly. There is no strange noises coming from the transformer.

Thanks again for all the help in assuring me that what I was intending to buy was suitable for my needs.

Just to bring matters down to my level the replacement transformer arrived today and the Christmas lights are working perfectly. There is no strange noises coming from the transformer.
That's great to hear, albeit no surprise.

Just ignore the nit-picking going on around here, and have a great Christmas!

Kind Regards, John

You too John, and everyone else here.

I do not think it is knit picking but yes, there is always someone who knows one better, that is why we all end up doing a debate and the OP gets terribly confused, I go by practical experience rather than nitty gritty of things that only matters if we were to launch a space rocket to moon. But for sustaining life deep knowledge is not necessary at all, our planet has over 7 Billion humanoids, they are not all scientist! and majority of them live in conditions that we in advanced world wouldn't know how to survive. even 21st Century, They live and survive in extreme climates without piped water, gas or electricity, or sewage system and without NHS, in extreme cold and hot weather. Only we find in advanced world that we have to adhere to strict regulations in order to survive.

I do not think it is knit picking but yes, there is always someone who knows one better, that is why we all end up doing a debate and the OP gets terribly confused, ....
I wasn't referring to you, or even to myself or most of the others. We merely got entangled in a discussion started by someone else which was only ever going to confuse the OP!

Kind Regards, John

No No, I wasn't either, because i used words like knit picking because you had used those words, so wasn't at all digging at you, my comments were not aimed at anyone particularly, just general, and even i get dragged into this entanglement, I am just as bad, but I do it just out of interest only, not to dig at anyone.

yup it is good for learning and expanding your knowledge. Not that it is going to help me survive any better, but it is best to know, imagine we are flying and the pilot has a heart attack, someone among the passengers need to know a little about flying so that we can all land safely! and he doesn't have to be a qualified pilot! (or for that matter a Gas safe registered traveler who almost always knows best and claim to know everything including electrics, and know every aspect of all the boilers ever manufactured on this earth, and how our universe ticks, ..ha ha! but yup there you go, someone out there always knows better than you.

Last edited:
No No, I wasn't either, because i used words like knit picking because you had used those words, so wasn't at all digging at you, my comments were not aimed at anyone particularly, just general, and even i get dragged into this entanglement, I am just as bad, but I do it just out of interest only, not to dig at anyone.
Indeed. I am probably one of the most guilty in relation to 'getting entangled'. However, I try not to initiate such tangential discussions, at least until after an OP's question has essentially been answered.

Kind Regards, John

6/10 Must try harder! :p
:) However, it might have been a bit fairer if you had included the rest of my quote, namely "... at least until after an OP's question has essentially been answered."!!

Some people introduce early 'tangents' that can only serve to confuse OPs whilst they are still trying to get an answer to their question, and I certainly try (and, I think, generally succeed) not to do that.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back