Yale Entry / away Entry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question could some one explain the difference between Yale's Enty and away entry options please ?,

I've had a look around online and I'm not seeing anything that explains the difference, just want to make sure I'm setting the thing up correctly... I'm sure it's simples and it's just me being a complete Barbie

Thanks

Sponsored Links
where did you see those terms?

there is an "entry" setting for a door contact, that will set the entry countdown when you enter the house through a proper door (rather than setting the alarm off immediately, for example if you broke in through a window or got in from some other way).

there is an "away" setting for the panel, which sets all sensors as armed (unlike the "home" setting for the panel, which allows you to move around part or all of the inside of your home, for example at night)

And there is a "home" setting for sensors, which allows you to define certain sensors as the ones that should not cause an alarm when the panel is set to "home arm" Typically this would be your upstairs sensors, but might be al indoor rooms (but not doors or windows).

Thanks for replying

The terms were in the instruction manual, it lists Home settings, which I get, then there are Entry and Away Entry options, which is the part I don't understand...

I've set the front door contact to Away Entry for now, (being deafened by the control panel made me realise that needed to be done, hell that panel is loud, my ears are still ringing three hours later and the cat won't come back into the house)..

I was just confused that it refers to two different types of entry and doesn't really specify what the difference is between them...

Sponsored Links
Home entry and away entry are different in the following way.

If your hallway has for example has a door contact and prerhaps a pir if there is side window access then the door contact and the pir can be set to entry meaning the door contact will set the panel counting down and the similarly the pir when you come downstairs on a morning.

However if you set the door to chime when it is opened the internal pir also set to entry will also make the panel chime when you walk past it which obviously could annoy.

So you set that device as an away entry and it will not be active unless the alarm is set so you can walk past it when at home without getting the chime.

simples :D

or to make it even simpler . . An away entry pir only acts as an entry device if the system is armed otherwise it is ignored by the panel.
An home entry device reports to the panel all the time.

hi,

the above is what I thought it would do but I have just installed mine and its the wrong way round!

maybe I am being an idiot but on my HSA 6400 I have set the Pir in the hall to away entry and the door contact to entry with chime on. When I home arm the device to disable the upstairs sensor it completely ignore the hall PIR downstairs and does not set off the entry timer! A quick check in the instructions confirms this is correct

Away Entry • If an away entry device is triggered when the system is in armed mode, the control unit will start an entry delay period to give enough time to disarm the system. • If the delay period expires without being disarmed, the control panel will respond with a burglar alarm. • An away entry device is ignored when home armed. • The device will not give a “ding dong” chime sound when door chime is selected.

surely this is the wrong way around and you would want the entry to sound the chime and the away entry to not sound the chime? or a more simple solution of not ignoring it in home armed mode. The only way I can see around this would be to set them both to entry and then turn off the chime (a feature I wanted as I have young children)

any help appreciated but I am thinking this is an error in the alarms software.

thanks[/i][/u]

The PIR does not need to be set to entry. Only the door shoould be set to entry. If someone enters your house through a window or other means (not through the door) then you want the alarm to sound, not to start a 30-second countdown.

set the PIR to "home" if you want to be able to wander around the hall when Home Armed.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have the downstairs covered and this PIR was purely to activate the entry when we come down in the morning on route to the alarm panel to remind us to deactivate the alarm otherwise someone will walk into the living room or kitchen and set off the alarm.

I have seen many professionally wired alarm systems do this no problem. The away entry seems to be a pointless feature. Just rang Yale and they agree it seems odd and he has been asked before but can't explain a reason for what the option was designed to do.:) And he did not have a solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back