Yale Premium Alarm Kit

the Yale Premium phones out when it alarms, with a recorded message.

edit
sorry I should have said the panel phones out, but only if it detects an alarm. The siren doen't, and has no transmitter to contact the panel.

I can't remember if the panel also detects jamming. I am a householder not an installer and have never encountered radio jamming.

Edited: yes it does. So if you jam the siren it will hoot, and if the panel detects jamming it will alarm and phone out.

Sponsored Links
Im in a bit of a dilema now. I was going to fit the control pannel by the front door. If i move it to the lounge for example im going to be fumbling around with muddy shoes before i can enter the code which will take to much time. IMO though the front door would be the last point of entry an intruder would take so may be ok.

Yaleguy, where do you fit them?

buy an extra keypad and put it, out of sight, near your point of entry. The keypad accepts a combination you can set. It is far smaller and cheaper than the panel.

I believe it costs about £25, but unless you have a very small home, the better buy is to get the simpe keypad-operated alarm kit, then for £100 or so you wilklk end up with a keypad, an extra siren, and about four extra detectors. There is also a keyfob remote control that can be used, but this has no combination so could be used by anyone who found or stole it.

No disrespect intended to anyone in the following.

Fit a DIY cheap system with no idea of risk assesment. Mount control equipment in obvious places. Detectors pointing at god knows what.
And expect it to work without fault?

Now lets take a quote or two.
"If i move it to the lounge"
Stunning idea ( yes you said as an example")
So you now have a walk thru zone in the system...................this will become obvious in a bit.
"front door would be the last point of entry an intruder would take"
Really,it is often the first, keys left under the mat. In a flowerpot.
Or a basic latch lock and no deadbolt fitted, entry time if you know 5 seconds. ( yes 5 seconds).
So now door open, entry timer started, walks into lounge..........nothing. rips panel from wall. Now has all day to rob. ( did say obvious earlier.)

Worst senario I know.
But a good reason for.
Good locks on all windows and external doors ( forget locking internals, once inside they will just kick them open).
A well designed intruder system.

Not a random DIY weekend folly.
Get 3 quotes from local NACOSS/SSAIB companies, they are free. Even if you do not take them up you will have a better idea about security.
Also local Crime Prevention Officer can be of assistance.

Again no disrespect to anyone, just soild sound advice.

Sponsored Links
Personally I think alarms are more about visual deterrent
if they try and break in anyway they probably could care less about an alarm sounding

Why couldn't Yale have designed the system so that when the point of entry detector was triggered, the control panel sent a signal to the siren to start its own delay timer. If the control panel is disarmed then it sends a corresponding signal to the siren to cancel the countdown. If the control panel is smashed then the siren would not receive any cancellation signal and the alarm would sound.

that's a good idea

you should write to them and suggest it

mind you, they would want to be sure of increasing their sales and/or profits considerably to make it worth the bother.

Ok some real life experiences of the Yale panels in use and abuse.

Lets look at the scenario where you have put your control panel in your hallway where you come in the door because you have both a power point and a phone socket and you can get to the panel quickly to disarm its countdown.

Ok weakness number one.
If it is a 6400 that plugs into a landline then yes the intruder could pull out the phone socket and the device could not call out.

Lets first establish modus operandi.
I would be absolutely gobsmacked if this became the accepted way of breaking into homes since in my experience 99% of burglars come in the back doors / usually of the patio kind so they cannot be seen about their nefarious activities.

Anyway lets immagine that Burglar Bill does decide to do so - He comes in the front door and he can hear the panel counting down its 20 seconds... So out comes the phone line (Presuming he has nerves of steel and the ticking countdown hasn't made him realise he has set off the alarm and he better scarper.
Now of course he didn't have to even get in the house to disable the phone so in that respect the yale is just as secure as any other land line monitored system.
However lets for the sake of this thread assume that he gets in the home and hearing the countdown pulls out the phone jack. This gives him ten seconds left so what does he do?
He takes the panel off the wall?
Big mistake - microswitch tamper immediately activates the alarm.
Ok so lets see . pull the plug out from the wall socket?
Big mistake number two , the internal battery just keeps the system ticking away nicely.
Right lets try putting in a code . . . . . whoops three wrong numbers and the system locks up for 1 minute.

So lets try the initial plan A smash up the panel.

Well assuming while when attempting to smash it they manage to keep it on its wall bracket so it doesn't instantly activate they will have to be very skillful. I have replaced Yale panels where intruders have attempted to stop the alarm by smashing the panel and in all cases they have failed to damage the panel enough to stop it working. I have replaced a panel attacked with a pair of mole grips and jumped up and down on cracking the LCD screen and leaving trainer prints on the casing. The alarm still went off. The only reason it was replaced was because you could not read the lcd screen anymore.
Once the panel has activated the external siren even if you do decide to hang around and spend more time smashing it up , firstly it will take some time as they are remarkable robust and secondly when you do finally break the panel it still wont stop the external siren from continuing its pre alloted alarm signal length wether that was set to four , ten or even fifteen minutes.
Whatever could be said of attempting to destroy a yale panel could equally be said of opening the pantry / understairs cupboard etc and attempting to destroy the endstation.
As mentioned if you are really that worried you could mount the control panel elsewhere and just have a keypad at your front door.

I have even mounted control panels in bedrooms with a keypad at the front door. No chance then of sleeping through a burglar getting in your back door then.

Alarm has given good advice in this thread but I would always as I do suggest a professional like himself has a go at fitting a yale alarm just to be pleasantly surprised by how they work in the field.

Ok some real life experiences of the Yale panels in use and abuse.

Lets look at the scenario where you have put your control panel in your hallway where you come in the door because you have both a power point and a phone socket and you can get to the panel quickly to disarm its countdown.

Ok weakness number one.
If it is a 6400 that plugs into a landline then yes the intruder could pull out the phone socket and the device could not call out.

Lets first establish modus operandi.
I would be absolutely gobsmacked if this became the accepted way of breaking into homes since in my experience 99% of burglars come in the back doors / usually of the patio kind so they cannot be seen about their nefarious activities.

Anyway lets immagine that Burglar Bill does decide to do so - He comes in the front door and he can hear the panel counting down its 20 seconds... So out comes the phone line (Presuming he has nerves of steel and the ticking countdown hasn't made him realise he has set off the alarm and he better scarper.
Now of course he didn't have to even get in the house to disable the phone so in that respect the yale is just as secure as any other land line monitored system.
However lets for the sake of this thread assume that he gets in the home and hearing the countdown pulls out the phone jack. This gives him ten seconds left so what does he do?
He takes the panel off the wall?
Big mistake - microswitch tamper immediately activates the alarm.
Ok so lets see . pull the plug out from the wall socket?
Big mistake number two , the internal battery just keeps the system ticking away nicely.
Right lets try putting in a code . . . . . whoops three wrong numbers and the system locks up for 1 minute.

So lets try the initial plan A smash up the panel.

Well assuming while when attempting to smash it they manage to keep it on its wall bracket so it doesn't instantly activate they will have to be very skillful. I have replaced Yale panels where intruders have attempted to stop the alarm by smashing the panel and in all cases they have failed to damage the panel enough to stop it working. I have replaced a panel attacked with a pair of mole grips and jumped up and down on cracking the LCD screen and leaving trainer prints on the casing. The alarm still went off. The only reason it was replaced was because you could not read the lcd screen anymore.
Once the panel has activated the external siren even if you do decide to hang around and spend more time smashing it up , firstly it will take some time as they are remarkable robust and secondly when you do finally break the panel it still wont stop the external siren from continuing its pre alloted alarm signal length wether that was set to four , ten or even fifteen minutes.
Whatever could be said of attempting to destroy a yale panel could equally be said of opening the pantry / understairs cupboard etc and attempting to destroy the endstation.
As mentioned if you are really that worried you could mount the control panel elsewhere and just have a keypad at your front door.

I have even mounted control panels in bedrooms with a keypad at the front door. No chance then of sleeping through a burglar getting in your back door then.

Alarm has given good advice in this thread but I would always as I do suggest a professional like himself has a go at fitting a yale alarm just to be pleasantly surprised by how they work in the field.

So in your opinion, by the front door will be ok?

Do you have any tips for fitting it that aren't in the the instructions?

The difficulty with that is that 'professionals' have EU Standards to which they have to adhere.

To what Standards do Yale adhere?

Depends on how the phone line has been installed. Overhead reasonable simple to pull down or cut. Service by underground cable without externally exposed wiring ( as recommended for security / life critical use ) would be much more difficult to disable.

I do suggest a professional like himself has a go at fitting a yale alarm just to be pleasantly surprised by how they work in the field.

As stated above there is no way I would install ungraded equipment.
If Yale are so good why have they not gotten the system tested and graded?

Money for one reason, 2ndly it probably would not pass.

I do not doubt it has its place in the market.
I would not personally rely on it.
My own system is a G3 overkill perhaps. But I know it works. Will perform as it is inteneded to.

YG3, what would happen if your kit did not do as promised?
Could you afford a claim against you?

Again no disrespect intended.

It's not supposed to be to the same standard. It is supposed to be a low-price DIY system. Having no wires is its USP. The extra features, on top of the siren, in the higher models in the range allow them to price build to attract a wider variety of customers. As it is cheap and DIY there is not much point in grumbling that it is not the same standard as a pro system. The annual service and monitoring charges on my home system are more than the Yale system cost on the other house I look after.

A working siren on the wall, if you have an ordinary house with ordinary security, makes your house less attractive than the identical house next door, without one.

A working siren on the wall, if you have an ordinary house with ordinary security, makes your house less attractive than the identical house next door, without one.

Well said John. The Yale, for the money offers a good solution to people who want a deterrent but don't want to spend out thousands of pounds on security assessments and high end alarm systems. I also agree that where telephone lines are in view even the more expensive dialler options are just as vulnerable from the outside as the Yale.

Where do "pro" systems cost thousands?

People like you scaremongering fitting cheap tat are the problem.
An assesment/quote/Risk Assesment is always done for NOTHING FREE NON GRATIS.

As for phone lines we can supply IP Phone GSM and or GPRS as alternative backups.

If your going to make wildly inaccurate statements at least know what your talking about.

I put it to anyone fitting Yale products, come and fit a G3/4 panel and see what exactly your missing.

Not meant as an insult, just correcting bad information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back