Yet another gas hob question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my "big sinks" enquiry, it appears that I'm going to be replacing all the worktops in my kitchen, which means disturbing the old gas hob.

I've seen a few posts on this forum about methods for connecting gas hobs which centre on the flexible hose versus fixed pipework argument; mine is connected by a flexible pipe. That being the case then theoretically(if not legally) I COULD remove/ replace it myself, but as the pipe has been in place and undisturbed for 20 years I'm afraid that if I disconnect it after all this time then the fitting might leak.

I'm really only tarting up the kitchen in readiness for selling the house, so I'm tempted just to lift the old hob out without disconnecting either the electrical supply or the flexible hose, remove the worktop and replace it with a new one then make the cutout and drop the old hob back in.

I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of any potential problems I might encounter with this course of action? Am I right in thinking that the old flexible pipe connection may leak if I disturb it, and that it would be illegal for me to do so?

Edit..of course, the above depends on whether there's room for me to pass the hob through the cutout in the new worktop before I fit it...which I would have to do if I didn't disturb pipe or wiring. Hmm.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you are selling then you need an RGI who will give you some paperwork that you can give to the buyer.

Right...and I would have to do that even if I didn't actually disturb the hob pipework?

Bearing in mind I'm in North West England, how much is an RGI likely to charge for removing the old hob and connecting a new one? I know its rather a case of "how long is a piece of string" as charges vary so much, but a ballpark figure would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The last time I got one in on a kitchen I was doing was £65 (for supply and connection of pipe) I fitted the hob.. It's not worth the bother of getting a sale delayed because of a few quid.

Flexible hoses are not normally permissable for hobs!

I also usually charge £65 to connect the gas. But that is a bit of a loss leader to discourage DIY attempts.

Tony

In almost all cases you can't use a hose on a hob.
There's no gas paperwork required just to sell, though an agent may insist otherwise.
Any inspection could pick up a hose being there. Phone cameras see behind things!

And yes, if you undo an old hose bayonet, which anyone can do, they can leak.

Thanks again, all. So to sum up, to pre-empt any awkward questions from prospective buyers get an RGI to remove the old hob and install the new one, which would include replacing the flexible hose with fixed pipework. Upwards of 100 quid, then, I would imagine.

Piggy bank, prepare to be emptied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back