Zanussi ZWF1632W Drum not spinning - completely stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday my Zanussi washing machine made a weird noise on the final spin. I quickly switched it off and emptied it. Switched back on but the drum would not turn. I have only had it just over 12 months (and no I didn't take out the extended warranty - sob!).
It wasn't making any noises before this. The drum doesn't move at all - not by hand or when switched back on. It is stuck solid. Opened up the back to check the belt - still intact. I took the belt off and switched the machine on to see if the motor still goes - it does. There is no obvious noises when the motor runs.
So, I think that something has got between the inner drum and outer drum (like a sock) and wondered how the hell I get to it.
I took off the rubber seal on the door but still can't see into the inside of the drum.
Is there a way of getting between these drums from the front? Any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
yep, sounds like you have overloaded it.

you need to free it up first.

easiest way is to grab 2 paddles and twist (and hope the paddles dont come off)

Then take the pump off and use a coat hanger to fish the sock out

can if you want to write the m/c off

it must move either one way or the other, i never said it was easy, but tyy twisting one way then the other.

dont let any small kids watch, i used to put my head inside the m/c to see get better grip

Sponsored Links
Ok I've managed to move it slightly so I'll keep on having a go (this is a great way to relieve built up tension!). Anyway, is the pump the big black thing at the bottom? Sorry to sound so stupid but I've never done this before.
Thank you for all your help.

After much pushing and pulling, the drum finally gave up the fight and released. However, after searching for ages for the sock, I threw caution to the wind. I switched the machine back on, put it on the lowest settings possible and prayed. It went through the wash cycle OK. Went through the rinse cycle OK. And then miraculously the sock reappeared! EUREKA!
Nothing seems to be damaged (apart from one very torn up sock).
Thanks again for your help. I'm a very happy lady now! (and Mr Hammer never came out)

told you it works.

just remeber next time not to put too much in the wash load.
better to do 2 smaller loads than 1 big load.

Yeah lesson learnt :confused:
I will also make sure that the bloody socks go at the back of the machine!
Cheers you are a star. x

nothing to do with where they go, its how much there is.

rule of thumb

a m/c is "full" when you can just about see the back of the drum by look across the top of the pile.

if you cant see it, its got too much, take some out

same issue tried moving the drum which worked but it continues to remain stuck and belt slipping noise.

When manually moving the drum it makes a scratching noise.

Unsure how to remove the pump hose and enter the space between inner and outer drum

Check around the front of the inner drum first b tween the inner and outer drums, look really carefully for any thing odd, piece of wire, comb, spoon, coins, threads from ties, baby doll nighties, ballet shoes, etc (all things I have found between the drums).

Shine a bright light inside the drum looking all round to see if you can see anything between the drums (look through the holes)

The sump hose connects the drum to the drain pump and is fitted underneath towards the front of the machine. I usually switch the power off and tip the machine backwards about 30 to 40 degrees against a wall or onto some packing. Then looking underneath I remove the end of the sump hose on the drum to look through there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back