Yale 6400 door contact on shed door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted a door contact on the inside of the shed door in the garden, about 12 meters from the control panel. It's working fine, but I'm wondering about how it will perform in very cold sub zero temperatures.
Is it recommended to use a door contact in an outdoor shed?

Sponsored Links
I would of thought not as it is a domestic system for indoors i think. ( dont quote me on that )

Await YaleGuy3's reply he will know

~From the book of words,

Environmental conditions
-10°C to 40°C, relative humidity
70% non-condensing for all units
except the external siren. Siren: -
20°C to 50°C, relative humidity 95%
non-condensing

So yes, it should be fine.

~From the book of words,

Environmental conditions
-10°C to 40°C, relative humidity
70% non-condensing for all units
except the external siren. Siren: -
20°C to 50°C, relative humidity 95%
non-condensing

So yes, it should be fine.
thanks for the info,
if the temperature plunges below minus 10 I'll disconect the shed contact.

Sponsored Links
The magnet will be fine but why not insulate the body. Just cover with some loft insulation or similar. The signal will still get out.

The magnet will be fine but why not insulate the body. Just cover with some loft insulation or similar. The signal will still get out.

And that will help in what way?

This has to be the funniest thing you have ever said.

And that will help in what way?

This has to be the funniest thing you have ever said.

You are not seriously asking me how insulation works are you??

thermal transfer - equalisation - movement from hot to cold - whole industries built on providing insulation etc etc

Insulation?

To keep heat or cold in.

Ambient temp = surrounding temp induced into local objects.
No local heating = being constant to ambient temp.

So, in basic form. A no heat source in -20 will with a surround = -20.

Or do you want the mathmatical answer?

Don't worry too much Yaleguy. You are not the first to make that mistake. Proximity detectors were installed in a -18 degree C freezer tunnel and then it was discovered that they really did not work at -18. when the conveyor system jammed up. Insulation was the obvious answer said the whizz kid designers. It didn't work. It was the experienced factory engineer who saved the day by installing small heaters inside the insulation. I seem to recall they were resistors running at 2 watts.

Don't worry too much Yaleguy. You are not the first to make that mistake. Proximity detectors were installed in a -18 degree C freezer tunnel and then it was discovered that they really did not work at -18. when the conveyor system jammed up. Insulation was the obvious answer said the whizz kid designers. It didn't work. It was the experienced factory engineer who saved the day by installing small heaters inside the insulation. I seem to recall they were resistors running at 2 watts.
Like the 'heaters' that could be fitted inside active beams, worked wonders in the frosty nights.

Radiovisor beams mostly if memory serves.

Yes but we are not talking here about a constant or a lack of heat. We are talking about the temp varying from above or hear freezing during the day and the temp falling at night. The insulation would slow the rate of temperature loss

You miss the point again.
The "insulation" will be at the ambient temperature.
It cannot "insulate" anything as there is nothing to "insulate". IE no heat.

Good try.

For your information, manufacturer's op. temperature claim is often derived from the figures given by their passive and active components vendors.

a claim of -10c to 40c probably means most these vendors claiming -20c to 50c (or more). vaccum Reed switch will definately works fine at temp much lower, and I believe the odd one out would likely be the RF IC/module- which typical of an active components could be more sensitive to condensation etc.

in short, unless u talking about prolonged period (days) of temp less than -10c, you should be fine. Otherwise make sure theres background heating in the shed

You miss the point again.
The "insulation" will be at the ambient temperature.
It cannot "insulate" anything as there is nothing to "insulate". IE no heat.

Good try.

Strangely I have a garage - and it is totally unheated and yet in the winter nothing inside it freezes - how bizzare. Its not heated and yet if you go inside the ambient temp within is higher than outside when it's cold and yet it is not and has never has been heated. Strange that.
Of course with your logic it should be the same temperature inside as it is outside because there is no source of heat.
In the winter I put a sheet of plastic on my car windscreen. It is not hot heated plastic and my car may not have been driven and yet strangely it stops the windscreen from freezing???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back