Relays/fuses problem ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1999 BMW. When I try to start it in the morning it is dead. I have to open the fuse box under the bonnet and push all the fuses and relays firmly before I can start the car. Does this mean I am going to be needing to replace the relays/ fuses in the future or do you think I could get away with cleaning the metal points on the fuses and relays? Any advice would be most welcome. I know the car is getting near the end of life and I can not afford another one so I need to fix what I can myself.

Ok so I have checked the relays and fuses today. So far it starts ok but now the radio will not work. The fuse in the main fuse box is not blown. Any ideas ???

Sponsored Links
Not necessarily replace them but you have an intermittent join somewhere in that location which you do need to find and correct.

remove them and take a look, as you say the terminals need to be clean and bright. A drop of wd40 or similar sprayed in to the sockets when removed can help too, put the fuse/relay in and out a few times when you do this.

I don't want to state the bleeding obvious, but you have checked the battery and connections on there I assume?

Sponsored Links
When you get a bit of time, just push a few connections and try for a start, continue until you find a small bunch making a difference. Eliminate then the next time it gives trouble. Don't go cleaning all terminals, narrow it down a bit, because its usually only one corroded/loose connection.

Time consuming more than costly, if you are doing it yourself

Keep in mind, it may well be a faulty relay (internally) rather than external connections.

Back