District Heating Lease Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a 3 bedroom leasehold maisonette. Upon purchasing I was aware it had a district heating system running through the service space between the two properties but I was not connected to it (when the system was installed in the mid 90's property owners were given the option of connecting or not, the previous owner of my property sadly declined).

When I enquired about connecting to this system I was told that I could but It would be best to wait as the system was being updated and it would be pointless upgrading now due to these changes. So the weeks passed and I kept getting told the leasehold company was in the process of discussing the upgrade. Finally after around 10 weeks I was told that the system was being upgraded however I would be unable to connect due to there being no provision in my lease for the leaseholders to supply me with any utilities and they would be unable to add it to my service charge.

I brought up the fact that the other privately owned properties had been connected to this system and I was informed that this should not have happened and it had been a big mistake as they hadn't realised this and they were going to have to rectify this error. I then suggested that they add this provision to my lease and I was told "that isn't a route we're willing to take".

Now I'm looking at a cost of around £4,000 to install an electric system. I was quoted £11,000 to have a gas pipe installed (there is a line at the bottom of my street 50 meters away) and I was unwilling to pay that much, not that it mattered as I was advised the leaseholders would not allow it due to my property being in a block. So I the only option I'm left with is an electric system which is expensive to install and to run whilst the pipes for the district heating system are in my property and literally ready to connect to. With all the pressure to reduce c02 emissions etc I thought they would have pressured me to connect to the system.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Who owns the heating system ?
If it's owned by a third party and happens to pass through this property then I'd have thought it wasn't anything to do with the freeholder - you could contact the heating system owner and ask to be connected. It would only involve the freeholder if it required additions/modifications to the structure.

So if (for example) there's a service duct with the district heating pipes in it, and all you need to do is drill through your wall and hook up, then that should involve the leaseholder, they wouldn't need to add anything to the charges (you'd pay the heating co. direct), and I'd see no problem.
Technically you'd need permission from the leaseholder to drill the two holes.

Nobody can offer any more advice than in your first post about this, you need to see a solicitor and look into the assurances you were given befor you bought the place at auction. Let us know how it goes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back