Futureproofing new WBP floor against water damage....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This week I've ripped up the rest of our horrible chipboard floating floor in the kitchen. There had been a couple of leaks and some bodged repairs from our former landlords (housing association) before we bought it. The floor was in some state under the vinyl tiles, spongey, black, smelly, horrible.

I've put some plastic sheet and wooden battens down (along with insulation between) and will order some 25mm WBP plywood this week. However I'm a bit paranoid about more water leaks, I'm keen to try and make the floor much more resistant to water. I appreciate the plywood is a good step in the right direction, but would painting a tanking product onto the whole thing be overkill? Alternatively as we're debating tiling the room, would it be worth overboarding the plywood with some sort of thin tile backer board?

Any tips/ideas/suggestions? :)

Sponsored Links
Bobbyboy
25mm ply, backer board, tiles and waterproof grout. You could wash your car down in the kitchen.
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
Might as well ask, if I'm going for 6mm backer board (daren't go higher as I've already raised the floor level), what's the best practice way to bond it to the WBP....screws (specific screws?), adhesive (what type?), or both?

Also I'm guessing I should waterproof the bottom and sides of the WBP with something? (again recommendations welcome lol).

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back