How to cut a steel beam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut about 1 metre off a steel beam 203x203UC46. The flanges are 11mm thick and the web is 7.2mm thick.

Can a 9 inch angle grinder do it? Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure you buy the appropriate blade, and as Joe says, make sure you have your eye protection....but its pretty straight forward.

Sponsored Links
A lot of my work troosers have been ruined cutting steel in the forward shin area right where the sparks hit.

Try and spread your legs.

Avoid the disc becoming snatched. The off-cut needs to be able to sag slightly so the cut opens as your power through.

Cut the web first whilst the cutting disc is at its largest.

A lot of my work troosers have been ruined cutting steel in the forward shin area right where the sparks hit.
Yup, when I worked as a fabricator I sometimes found the crotch area could get a bit warm cutting steel with a disc cutter! That was when cutting at table height though.

Also, try to get thin discs. 2mm will go through much more quickly than 3mm as the pressure is 50% greater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back