Remove steel beam welding, which trade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, previous owners have welded a 2m landing, metal and wood stairs, to steel beams(not I beams, angled beams). To fit a replacement straight flight we need to remove the welded stairs, reduce landing length to 1m and fit new stairs. Which trade will do this? And, any idea if there are joist hangers that can be drilled into steel beams?
Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Trade would be anyone with a reciprocating saw.

As for the hangers, no there are not, but they could be, but it's not the way it would be done.

Trade would be anyone with a reciprocating saw.

As for the hangers, no there are not, but they could be, but it's not the way it would be done.

Thanks Woody.
If not with joist hanger how can it be done?

Our joists were supposed to be on hangers on the top flange of the beam. The builder eventually bolted a timber to the beam and hung the joists from that. The SE said they could have just notched them into the flanges of the beams. Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
Thanks John.
Sorry I can't transfer my photos. I will try to use online images and explain. We have no web/flange available to use. The stairs are welded to two beams of this shape parallel to each other, if that makes any sense.
Thumb.ashx

I don't know the right words but the floor joists rest on the horizontal parts of the two beams (2up 2 down house with stairs across)so there is no web available for stairs. As far as the stairs are concerned it is bit like welded between two steel lintels flush to wall.

connection7.jpg
Incase this picture makes it clearer.
The beams are parallel like this picture but shape of both beams like previous picture. In between two beams something is bolted here. Instead of bolting we have welded stairs between two beams. There is no top flange for both the beams and the web/bottom flange is occupied by floor joists of both bedrooms.

Last edited:
You need to post an image, it's very hard to visualise whats happening, it is also something very uncommon.
Things to consider: It might be structual, you may need someone in to fabricate any tie in/ strengthening elements. You could get a 'traveler' in to rip the whole lot of for free.

Managed some pictures. Here they are.image.jpeg
Both sides of the wood stair trade(orange) are two beams. Stair trade perpendicular to the beams. As you can see the beams, top of stair tread, left one is flush with wall and second appears like a skirting. No flange on the stairs side. Black and yellow, bit parallel to the tread and above it, is welded to the off white beams on both sides. The yellow bit is a glue on the one piece black metal which is probably the top bit of the stairs.
Beams are at same level as orange tread. Nothing underneath them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
That image is not saying much.

Anyway, here is the principle - a timber fixed to the beam and hangers to the timber.

Attachments

• foto_no_exif.jpg
    foto_no_exif.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 104
Deleted. Duplicate.

Sorry for the multiple posts. Mods, please remove all the deleted posts.

Last edited:
That image is not saying much.

Anyway, here is the principle - a timber fixed to the beam and hangers to the timber.

Thanks, I will look.

Can I ask how is the timber attached to the beam? We have no flange/web for the timber to rest unless we drill into the beam. The beam is flush on the stairs side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back