Is this ok? (Mains cable bracket cracks masonry)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thanks for looking. icon_smile.gif

I did post in Electrical but it was suggested to move post to Building. I don't know how to move a post. I did search as to how??

Anyway.

Within re-roofing, we have had power company pop out to remove the power cables from bracket on our facia, then re-fix to the masonry.

This was for free as they (as far as I am informed) have a policy to gain general/gradual upgrading of their cables etc. This included routing cable across the front of the house, instead of across facias. No problems anywhere else.

My worry is that this fixing is not good, will move the blocks above.
Scaffold is up now- was thinking of sending them a pic and asking to 'OK' this.

If I mastic (?) in the cracks of the stonework and hope for the best, will I be on the back foot when/if the whole lot shifts and I did not let them know/ask them back?

I added a 'before' pic- old bracket on wooden facia.

Thank you for any advice/input.
Sorry for double posting- I will delete other on Electrics forum... if I can?

Sponsored Links
That is a shame seeing the stone split like that. But to be honest I don't think you should worry. There looks to be plenty of anchorage to the bracket and I would not expect the stone to pull out when the anchor in the next stone looks fine.

The stone is also well sheltered under the eaves.

Because the stone has been split right through are you thinking that it should be replaced? - I don't think that would be an unreasonable thing to ask, but the cable would need to be anchored elsewhere to do that.

If it was me I would be more unhappy about the appearance of the stone being split and would ask if they would kindly replace it!

That is a shame seeing the stone split like that. But to be honest I don't think you should worry. There looks to be plenty of anchorage to the bracket and I would not expect the stone to pull out when the anchor in the next stone looks fine.

The stone is also well sheltered under the eaves.

Because the stone has been split right through are you thinking that it should be replaced? - I don't think that would be an unreasonable thing to ask, but the cable would need to be anchored elsewhere to do that.

If it was me I would be more unhappy about the appearance of the stone being split and would ask if they would kindly replace it!

Thank you for your reply.From the ground it can hardly be seen- the crack I mean. I don't really have much of a sense of the forces on the stone and the likelyhood of movement/problems, having not much masonry experience.
I might just send them an email with a pic, noting my concerns and, getting a reply from them, hold the correspondence in case of problems later on?

Although I have no experience with electric cables I have worked in telecoms using similar anchoring brackets and in my opinion it's not secure. There is one bolt in the mortar (should all be in masonry) and the only bolt on the right is in the split. The expansion of the bolt is the cause rather than the drill so it may well be that the block is not suitable to mount a bracket like that to. It may be fine if they mount it on a block that is not on the corner. I would get onto them right away to find another solution and ask them to replace the block as well.

Sponsored Links
Although I have no experience with electric cables I have worked in telecoms using similar anchoring brackets and in my opinion it's not secure. There is one bolt in the mortar (should all be in masonry) and the only bolt on the right is in the split. The expansion of the bolt is the cause rather than the drill so it may well be that the block is not suitable to mount a bracket like that to. It may be fine if they mount it on a block that is not on the corner. I would get onto them right away to find another solution and ask them to replace the block as well.

Remember it used to be fitted to just the fascia - a bit of timber nailed onto rafter ends ;)

I know, but no excuse to leave it in that mess though, the right hand side of that bracket is being held on by the weight of one and a half blocks on the bolt!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back