Are pull cords no longer allowed in Bathrooms due to regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been told that pull cords (for lights) are no longer allowed in new build bathrooms due to building regs. Is this correct? surely not i cant see why you wouldnt' be allowed a pull cord as long as its in zone 3 (think its now zone 2).

I'm no sparky but cant see why on earth these would be allowed, just wondered if its true or just some lame excuse?

Thanks in advance

dave

Sponsored Links
What you have heard is a load of rubbish, there is nothing wrong with a pullcord in a bathroom as long as it is installed correctly. Zone 3 doesn't exist anymore, the area which was zone 3 is outside the zones.

Don't forget most switches will be out of the height of the zones (2.25m IIRC). Obviously don't put them above the bath though, as other regulations (applying common sense) will prevail.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget most switches will be out of the height of the zones (2.25m IIRC). Obviously don't put them above the bath though, as other regulations (applying common sense) will prevail.
I'm not sure that over the bath (assuming ceiling >2.25m) would offend too much against common sense for a shower pull switch, would it?

Kind Regards, John.

Sounds like another one of the myths which keep going round from time to time. First time I've heard this one though.

Thanks for replies, thought it sounded wrong.

Guess the guy (who's doing install work for a friend) just didn't want to install pull switch so opted for exterior to bathroom std switch and used excuse to justify. Could have understood if bathroom was small.

Never mind doesn't need pull switch and his happy with other. Just didn't make sense.

Thanks again for replies

Ps have to say this forum is great for getting quality answers quickly

I'm not sure that over the bath (assuming ceiling >2.25m) would offend too much against common sense for a shower pull switch, would it?
Except that it's the most elevated, dampest and wettest part of the bathroom.

Except that it's the most elevated, dampest and wettest part of the bathroom.
I actually doubt that it would usually be significantly more elevated, damp or wet than any other part of the ceiling of a small bathroom, and there clearly is something to be said for being able to switch off/isolate a shower from that position.

Kind Regards, John.

Guess the guy (who's doing install work for a friend) just didn't want to install pull switch so opted for exterior to bathroom std switch and used excuse to justify.
Is this guy a qualified and registered electrician?

Is this guy a qualified and registered electrician?

Sorry to all of those who fall into this category on the forum who do know what's what, but most of the completely false statements about what regulations now require or do not allow seem to come from "qualified" and registered electricians.

While its easy to see that this pullcord thing is just a myth. Other things might not be so easy to spot...

Its often said on this forum that you cannot re-sleeve the green/yellow core of a flex as brown and use as a live conductor...now I'm not going to argue against the fact that its as rough as a bears backside and I wouldn't accept it on a job I was signing off.... but would anyone like to try and give me a reg number that actually forbids it in the 17th edition? (be carfull to read it properly, theres one that looks like it does if you read it quickly but on further reading doesn't actually relate to cores within multicore cables)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back