I Cant think properly...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should a 16h Edition install with Split load board, so rcd on sockets etc but not lighting and cables buried in wall, on a periodic would you give it a 4 (doesnt comply to bs7671 17th ed) or a 2 requires improvement? Should know but Its been a 13hour day and 200 miles, and I'm tired! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Should a 16h Edition install with Split load board, so rcd on sockets etc but not lighting and cables buried in wall, on a periodic would you give it a 4 (doesnt comply to bs7671 17th ed) or a 2 requires improvement? Should know but Its been a 13hour day and 200 miles, and I'm tired! :cry:
You have my sympathies - but aren't we 4 days into EICRs - in which case, as I understand it, code 4 no longer exists? (which makes the decision even more difficult, I would have thought)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Please expand on this ECIR's thingy?! and C3?? I'm employed and unfortunatly our bosses dont always pass on important information!!! :rolleyes:

Please expand on this ECIR's thingy?! and C3?? I'm employed and unfortunatly our bosses dont always pass on important information!!! :rolleyes:
As per Amendment 1 (2011) of BS7671:2008, as of 1st January 2012, PIRs no longer exist, and have been replaced by EICRs (Electrical Installation Condition Report) - and that only has three codes for you to choose from. In essence, what would have been code 4 on a PIR has now disappeared, leaving you to have to choose between C3 (improvement recommended, or something like that) and not coding it at all. [I don't have my BGB with me at the moment]

It sounds as if you may need to ask/tell your employer to buy some copies of the BGB.

Kind Regards, John

But you're inspecting to the current edition of BS7671, so it is not compliant.

But what if you were carrying out a (periodic) inspection with a view to giving a report when the property had a complete rewire in, say, sometime in the 60/70's? Which, or what parameters would one go by?

You would carry out the inspection to the current edition of BS7671, and list anything that is not compliant with the current regs.

Wether it needs remedial action because it is non compliant is entirely different.

.... I believe the IET have resurrected an outdated unworkable requirement, and that is for every defect the reg No must be quoted, a method that was tryed and abandoned by the electrical industry donkeys years ago.
I've seen this suggested before (maybe by you?) but I don't know where it comes from. I can find it nowhere in the BGB, section K of the EICR form has no column/provision for recording the regulation number and the EICR guidance notes say nothing about it.

Can you point us towards the source of your suggestion?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back