Induction Hob....couple of questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all....I'm in the process of fitting a new kitchen and we're about to change from a gas hob to an Induction hob.
I've a couple of questions I can't seem to find a definite answer to.

1. Can an Induction hob be fitted into a laminate worktop? I've read that the worktop must be granite or quartz because the laminate will get too hot?? but I've also read that this only applies to "flush fit" hobs that need a recess cutting into them in order for the hob to sit "flush". I wasn't planning on a "flush fit" hob anyway, we're looking at the thin glass top type that sit about 6mm to 10mm proud of the worktop.

2. Regarding sealing the glass hob.I've read you should not, under any circumstances, use silicone to seal the glass hob to the worktop, for fear of the glass expanding when hot then cracking due to the adhesion of the sealant. That being the case, would the hob come with some sort of sealant strip and seal under it's own weight to the worktop? Obviously moisture seeping into the laminate core is not a good idea and this is partially the reason for question 1.

3. Regarding "heat resistant cable". A few models we've looked at, a Zanussi one for instance, state cable to H05BB-F Tmax 90°C must be used.
I've looked in the Screwfix catalogue and there is no sign of that particular cable, the only heat resistant cable they offer is 3-core flex type of about 2.5mm. I was planning on using the existing 6mm feed that powered my cooker (32amp) and purchasing a 13amp plug in single built-under cooker, as running a new feed from the board is not really an option without major surgery to the house.

Sorry for the length of post, I wanted to be clear and precise so what I'm asking is understood...all help and advice is massively appreciated folks....BTW the "gas is better" argument holds no weight with the wife, believe me, I've tried.!!

Thanks

John.

Sponsored Links
The best advice will be in the manufacturer's installation instructions. Most can be obtained on line before you choose the hobs or from the showrooms.

Induction hobs create heat in the saucepan and not in the hob itself so the metal in contact with the worktop does not get hot. They do require air flow underneath as the electronic modules do get warm and some are fan cooled.

Cooking with induction is generally better than gas and i never thought I would ever say that. I only bought induction as I got a very good price on never used ex display units.

Worth considering a mix of gas and electric to cope when then is a power cut.

Neff Domino hobs make mix and match very easy. Not the cheapest but very good quality, they have a none sticky sealing method.

1. Induction and every other type of hob can be fitted into laminate - otherwise most kitchens wouldn't have a hob at all.

2. Hobs are all supplied with a seal strip, usually foam or sometimes a putty like material. It is used between the horizontal flat edge of the hob and the top laminate surface of the worktop.
The cut edge of the laminate is sealed before the hob is fitted, usually with aluminium tape. Short lengths can be purchased at any kitchen supplier. Long rolls are available from other places.

3. Heat resistant cables are available in a vast range of sizes and types. Screwfix and suchlike are not the place to buy them.
This is a likely item for most hobs and larger ovens: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA4TQ3slash50.html

slightly o/t...& maybe a small thing but think if you go induction you may also need to consider buying new pans unless your existing ones are suitable..not all are...and the ones that are are generally relatively expensive...afaik....not excessive but not at the lower end of the price range (no doubt now someone will post some that are cheap!..which'll be good for you!)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the swift replies fellas....been to busy to reply till now but very much appreciated.

That pretty much answers everything I wanted to know

I'd gone over all the new pans....gas/electric, all gas, all electric debate with the wife and this is what she wants..I just want a quiet life.!! If there's a power cut there's always the chippy/chinese/curry house ;o)

Thanks again for everything.

John.

Perhaps you could suggest that you get yourself a little gas barbeque to use in the event of a power cut?

ConnoisseurPro7Burner22.jpg
ConnoisseurPro8Burner22.jpg

I love our induction hobs, but you do need an alternative way of heating pans if there is any possibility that someone with a pacemaker may want to cook in your house.

Proper BBQ that by the way.!!

Not much chance of any pacemakers in this house mate.....but if there was I'd cross that bridge when I came to it.

Cheers.

John

Only thing I would add is don't use touch controls needs to be knobs. Most touch controls need multi presses to reduce heat which is too slow where a knob is quick to turn so with a knob if something starts to boil over you just turn it down but with touch controls they are too slow so you have to lift whole pan off the heat transfer area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back