Switch fuse - Minimum fuse rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CGMSF100.JPG

What the minimum fuse rating that can be fitted in one of these ?

Would it be useful in protecting 1.5mm or 2.5mm SWA cable

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Thinking about it, is not the correct thing to use anyway, I would want something metal to allow me to correctly terminate SWA to.

What the minimum fuse rating that can be fitted in one of these ?
I love 800KMFs :) The manufacturer's spec actually says "45-80A" but, as bernard says, those fuses (AFAIAA standard BS1361 HRC fuses) are, again AFAIAA, available in a very wide range of ratings.
Would it be useful in protecting 1.5mm or 2.5mm SWA cable
I suppose so - but you'd have to be very careful terminating conductors that small in (simple screw, not 'cage') terminals designed for up to 25mm². However, I see why you're asking the question, since there isn't much between an FCU (13A max fuse) and that. I suppose a 'main switch' and an MCB or CU-type fuse-carrier in a 3/4 module DIN enclosure would be an alternative.
EDIT: Whoops - missed the 'SWA'. You could not terminate SWA direct into one of those, you'd have to go via some other enclosure/box (bernard may supply the photo :) )

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes I've seen the double backbox to terminate the SWA armour.

Not something I would want as I was considering putting it on the meter board, and they don't like things adding at the best of times

Yes I've seen the double backbox to terminate the SWA armour. ... Not something I would want as I was considering putting it on the meter board, and they don't like things adding at the best of times
Fair enough. You could consider running T+E (or whatever) from the switch-fuse and then converting to SWA in a box somewhere downstream.

Kind Regards, John

I would want something metal to allow me to correctly terminate SWA to.
Do you want to buy this:

screenshot_55.jpg

:LOL:

Seriously though - I don't think you'll find a metal switchfuse anywhere near as compact as the 800KMF. You could probably build something small-ish with 2 1-gang metalclad boxes, one with a switch and one with a panel-mount fuse.

Yes I've seen the double backbox to terminate the SWA armour.

Not something I would want as I was considering putting it on the meter board, and they don't like things adding at the best of times
Indeed they don't, but what makes you think they'd be happier with one metal switchfuse than a plastic one + a die-cast box next to it?

Well it would take up less room, so not be as much as a pain to work around.

Anyway I'm not going to do this. (well possibly in 10 years time!)

2 single boxes wouldn't be any good, as I was wanting to feed tails in one end and SWA out the other.

View media item 66091
Is what you do to get the swa in there.

Fuses by MEM go down low-ish but only to about 45A as John suggests. If you want smaller you can use the smaller Lawson ME range which are exact copies. Their Low Voltage pdf catalogue also contains an equivalence chart for comparison with other makes.

In the picture it isn't clear but appears that the Live and Neutral have separate holes in the metal box. It is said this is a no no due to eddy currents being induced in the metal of the box which can cause the metal to heat up.

<piccie> ... Is what you do to get the swa in there.
Someone is bound to ask, so I guess it might as well be me ... I trust that there is a slot in that metal box between the holes (or is it perhaps one giant slot?) that the two conductors go through? :)
Edit: What did I say ... but the wretched man typed faster than me :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back