wall mounted fan heater in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to fit a wall mounted fan heater in bathroom. The heater I have bought is 2kw.

What size cable do I require?

Do I require this to be on a circuit of its own?

If so, what rating mcb do I require?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
2kW is the recommended limit for dedicated circuit so you will need to consider what else uses an existing radial or ring final. With 3 rings in a house kitchen, downstairs and upstairs then likely powering from ring is not a problem but with a single ring then likely it will be.

Although a 10A supply is all that is required common is to use a 16A MCB as would be used in Europe.

Depending on how controlled one may need a FCU and this would mean the size of supply MCB would not really be important.

Cable size must match the MCB distance and environment so can vary in the main we use 2.5mm for power even if within the limits for 1.5mm up to what ever is used to move from fixed to local wiring be it a FCU or cooker outlet and then move to 1.5mm flex.

The problem is of course this work is likely notifiable so it has to be spot on. You will need to raise a minor works or installation certificate and to be frank to hire the meters required to fill in the paperwork and pay the LABC fees will likely cost more than getting a scheme member electrician to do the work for you.

Heater will of course need to be rated for bathroom use and supply will need to be 30ma RCD protected. Since in England there have been some changes and exactly where the heater is sited in relation to bath or shower and if new circuit or extension from existing will change if it required notifying or not. Since I live across the boarder I have different rules so you will need to look up the Part P rules yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back