boiler siting regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I really need some advice........ I am a private tenant, and was wondering if the placement of my combi boiler in the bedroom is legal, I have been in the property for 3 years, but a friend has said that they are sure that it is illegal to have a combi boiler in a bedroom.

I would apreciate any advice that can be offered on this subject as I have tried to google it but can't make head nor tail of the info.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
A room sealed appliance can go in a bedroom I would assume it is room sealed as I have never seen an open glued combi.

Does it get serviced?

They do exisit but are fairly rare - Sauny, Vaillant Vokera, WB defo made them.

But as stated as long as it is maintained annually by the landlord it is perfectly legal.

Beware of friends with no idea... And no idea that they have no idea.

is it legal? YES
would i want one in a bedroom NO it will wake you up when the heating kicks in

Sponsored Links
I have been here nearly 3 years, the boiler was newly installed before I moved in, but I have only had 1 gas safety inspection done to date, I have tried to contact my landlords plumber to find out the date of the last inspection (because I can't find the sheet he gave me) but I'm almost certain that it was over a year ago.

I have no idea what a room sealed boiler is? it's not in a cupboard or anything and there are loads of pipescoming out of the bottom of it and a couple of twist tap type valves underneath that are in easy reach of the kids

on the up side I was sensible enough to purchase a Carbon Monoxide Alarm as my children are in that room.

I was told that the combi boilers can leak acid......... is that true?

You get told some twaddle don't you :LOL:

same friend?

You should however, have an annual inspection with a copy of the certificate left with you for your records.

This is statutory and the landlord is breaking the law by not doing this.

Room sealed is a safer type of flue that YOU don't need to worry about.
However what you do need to worry about is that you should have a landlord certificate every 12 months and you should have a copy of it. It is the responsibility of your landlord or agent to get this sorted, you should contact them ASAP currently they are breaking the law

I have tried to contact my landlords plumber to find out the date of the last inspection (because I can't find the sheet he gave me) but I'm almost certain that it was over a year ago.

Its your landlord's responsibility to get the gas safety check done and NOT his plumber!

But you would help yourself if you got a file and kept important documents in it. Then you could see exactly when the gas was last checked.

As stated ask the landlord for the current copy! They last for just 12 months!

If none is forthcoming then complain to the Environmental Health Officer at the Council.

Tony

Thank you everyone for your help.

I will be contacting my landlord this morning to get this matter resolved.

The only reason that I was going to contact the plumber to find out when the gas safety inspection was last done, is because my landlord is about as useless as a chocolate teapot, he skirts around issues and my repairs take ages to get done, and I know that the plumber will tell me exactly what date it was carried out.

My landlord seems to think that he can walk all over me because I'm female, and he's Indian! I think it's in his culture, but I've had enough of all the Bulls**t.

Was trying to find out if the boiler was a problem because I want to have all the info in front of me before I contact him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back