New boiler. Hight Street or Back Street fitter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the market for a new combi boiler to replace my very old gravity boiler system. Obviously you could go hight street like British Gas and get it done or i could get a friend of my father in laws to do it on the cheap. But with all this new legislation for energy efficiency and selling properties i really dont know what to do. Does the installer need to be CORGI and do i need some sort of paperwork to meet new legislation etc. Your advice would be much apreciated. Thanks. Ben

Sponsored Links
don't use a non GORGI registered engineer - you could invalidate your buildings insurance if you have a problem. Try to find an independant RGI that has been recommended rather than paying BG's inflated prices.

Thanks. Do i still need to find a CORGI person who will give a certificate to meet the new law thing and register it? The reason i ask is that BG said that they do all that for you.

Sponsored Links
judderi said:
But with all this new legislation for energy efficiency and selling properties i really dont know what to do.
The choice is very simple - (a) do it legally and safely, (b) do it illegally and unsafely.

Your choice depends on what kind of person you are, so be a grown-up - make a decision without having to drag other people into your web of self-deceipt. :rolleyes:

Go blow yourself you pompus prat!

I simply asked for advice as i didnt know the details and legality of the issues. But hey ive had answers from somebody who was very nice and helpfull not like yourself.

Moron.

because it is amazing to me that no one has read about the horror stories about incompetant fitting of boilers

Don't worry, most of us don't sometimes.

It is ILLEGAL for you to get any gas appliance installed by somebody who is not a certified competent person. At the moment the only organisation that certifies competency in the gas industry is CORGI.

Therfore the only legal way is to have a CORGI registered engineer/installer fit your new boiler.

British Gas are usually amongst the most expensive and don't always work to the highest standard. Shop around, get quotes and most importantly of all - seek recommendations from friends/family/colleagues/neighbours.

I think a more appropriate description of "back street fitter" would be "local independent registered gas installer"

Hey i never said the back street fitter would be incompetent. They would have been a qualified plumber doing a govy job to earn some extra cash. If i wanted an incompetent fitter i would do it myself! :LOL:

Thanks BoxBasher. Yeah i think i will start ringing around local companies getting prices and most importantly asking if they are corgi registered. Ta

LMAO

fair enough

but he wont be able to notify as has already been said

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back