Is all copper tube created equal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I want some 15mm BS EN 1057 Type X, can I buy any make, from any supplier, or are some makes/suppliers more equal than others? ;)

Ditto solder ring/end-feed fittings.

Sponsored Links
As someone who started plumbing in the 70's and during the copper shortage / silly prices we had to install some very dubious imported copper tube.
It would snap or ripple when you tried to bend it and the quality control on the dia was zero.
Therefore I only used Yorkshire or Wednesbury tube whenever I could. But I'm sure most of the imported copper these days is fine.

Same with fittings, always used branded. Yorkshire, Delcop etc

With 15 mm its pretty irrelevant.

With 22 mm the same if only using straight lengths.

But if you are bending it then it always seems to me that some brands are more prone to rippling than others.

I rarely bend as it does not look nice although it gives less flow resistance for gas.

In fact I usually detemper it with heat before bending.

It may be a false feeling but the Black Label as widely sold seems slightly better!

Tony

Thanks.

Should have said I'm not really bothered about price, as I don't want much, which does also impose a requirement for a supplier who sells individual tubes rather than packs of 10.

Sponsored Links
It may be a false feeling but the Black Label as widely sold seems slightly better!

Aye

500026702360G.jpg

:mrgreen:

With 15 mm its pretty irrelevant.

With 22 mm the same if only using straight lengths.

But if you are bending it then it always seems to me that some brands are more prone to rippling than others.

I rarely bend as it does not look nice although it gives less flow resistance for gas.

In fact I usually detemper it with heat before bending.

Tony

I think bends look better maybe its because i apprieciate being able to use a bending machine properly unlike the rough buggers that use elbows everywhere,
If you cant bend 22mm without heating up to prevent rippling may i suggest learning how to use a bending machine properly

Detemper the tube??? :LOL: :LOL:

I've heard it all now..., jeez. :LOL:

You haven't a clue Tony. ;)

My dog had a distemper vaccination.
Does that mean he won't ripple if I put him in the benders?

He should anneal them like wot I do. Anneal down and bend them over my knee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back