Locating MagnaClean Pro 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some placement advice for a MagnaClean Pro 2, that I am planning to fit on my inherited system :?:

The system was power flushed at some stage and my aim with the MagnaClean is to prolong the life of the system, as we have had the pump replaced twice before - each time with metal shale found on the pump impeller...

(p.s. this is normally covered by a cupboard, which has been temporarily removed for access)

View media item 58263 - View media item 58267
As it stands, the pipe work is a bit of a mess - nothing is straight and only some pipes are clipped - I was tempted to drain down completely, cut out the crap and re-do some of the runs, clipped and with enough space to use insulation foam on the pipes too (to reduce heat loss and noise)...

View media item 58265
Would this be a sensible thing to do? Should I be concerned about the current state of the runs (i.e. they are introducing air pockets) and the fact that I would only be able to replace with solder ring bends or compression fittings (as I do not have a 22mm pipe bender)?

I have noticed, at the top of the boiler, the fitter has handily marked the Flow and Return in pencil on the wall. I understand, I should fit the MagnaClean on the Return, as close to the boiler as possible?

View media item 58266
I propose the following location - circled in red, to make maintenance easier (not so high) and be close to the boiler on the Return - any issues in doing this? :)

View media item 58264
Please do let me know if you need any more details - thanks in advance! :)

Boiler - Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 428
Rads - 7 rads only, 5 upstairs, 2 downstairs - no doubles.
Pump - Grundfos UPS 15-60 / 130 (recently replaced by AA insurance with the latest revision / model)

Sponsored Links
your proposed position is fine, it can go a bit lower to make it easier to get to, just above the tee from the autobypass. The pipework arrangement isn't the best tbh, have no idea why the air sep has been dropped down, and the ptfe on the boiler connections screams of diy.
I would be tempted to convert to a sealed system.

Excellent, thanks for your reply and suggestion - moving it down a bit would make more sense for ease of maintenance - I shall fit it there! :)

Do you think it is worth cutting out some of the runs and re-doing them neater? In essence, will I see any benefit in performance or system noise?

More than happy to get a new air sep - excuse my ignorance - but will moving it higher up (but with the same configuration) give it more chance to remove air? Whereas now, it is probably not doing much? :?:

Frustrating to learn of the failings of the installer - I also thought either nothing or jointing compound should have been used, instead of PTFE on the compression joints :confused:

I also forgot to mention, just out of view (behind the flue pipe) there are two manual air vents, way up high out of reach (one on the flow, one on the return) - would it be worth changing these to auto air vents, for the sake of a fiver? Also for the one connected to the hot water cylinder?

Lastly, I have seen many mentions of anti-vibration brackets / mounts for the pump throughout this forum / Wiki etc... but when I called my local plumbing merchants (Grahams) they did not have a clue what I was asking for? Is there anywhere else online where these can be got - my thinking is to isolate the pump, to avoid resonance throughout the house - then again, fitting the MagnaClean may resolve this anyway :?:

Apologies for the detail - thought it best to give a clear picture :)

Thanks for the sealed system suggestion, at this time, the current system is 'working' and I would only want to invest a few £100, rather than a chunk more for a pro to come in and complete a conversion :)

Thanks again,

Another for changing to sealed you could do it yourself the kit is not expensive, the reason you are getting problems is due to it being open vent

Sponsored Links
Do NOT replace the manual vents with auto air vents. Auto air vents are nothing but trouble....they will work initially and then will block up or leak. Waste of time. You should not have the gate valve and ball valve on the cold feed either...bad practice.

Plenty of sealed systems are rotten too...nothing particularly wrong with open vented provided it's designed correctly.

Thanks guys.

Regarding sealed systems - where can I find more detail on this?

Unsure why I have both a gate valve and a stopcock on the F&E tank cold feed :confused:

I believe gate valves are preferred over stopcocks?

Should I move the air sep higher up and at the same time, loose the stopcock? It is probably full of crap anyway, so an opportunity to renew it?

Thanks for the info on the auto air vents - did some reading of reviews and found the same, leak city. They can stay as they are!

Hi chaps - just to update - fitted the MagnaClean in the location advised - was a bit of a pain getting my pipe slice around the pipe - but worked out in the end :!: (also insulated as many pipes as possible - not all shown in pic):

View media item 59081
Filled and treated system with Adey MC1 inhibitor.

------------

and the proof of the pudding - I knew my system contained some crap - but was rather pleased to see this much ****e after about three days of running it:

View media item 59082
System noise has gone right down and performance is much better - more heat is felt on the rads etc... :mrgreen: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back