Pilot cutting out on Baxi Boston 2 floor standing Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed that the water wasn't heating after checking, saw the pilot light had gone out. We relit it, it went for 5 minutes and cut out again. We had a gas registered fitter come and check it, he said it was the pump so we bought a new pump which he fitted. This was Monday, Wednesday went to reheat the water, pilot out again. Can't get the guy back as he was going into hospital. Any advice as to what it could be before we ring another gas fitter?

Sponsored Links
Pilot outage is, more often than not, caused by a gas issue. You are unlikely to get any advice on here about gas issues.

Pump causing pilot out on a boston not a cat in hells chance.
Advice is ring another fitter who will then look at pilot being dirty , t/couple or gas valve in that order

Sponsored Links
I think you're really lucky the chancer can't come back.

The pump has got to be just about the only part not to change.

Pump causing pilot out on a boston not a cat in hells chance.
Advice is ring another fitter who will then look at pilot being dirty , t/couple or gas valve in that order

Can't be t/couple or it wouldn't relight.

Later Bostons a interrupter, basic stuff. Check stat, wiring, flue pull, scummy pilot etc etc... Any Gas Engineer should know this.

I miss basic boilers.

I'm trying to picture a Boston, haven't seen one in a while now, can't remember if the stat is a flue or overheat stat :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to check the laptop now :LOL:

I am not telling the OP what to do but its almost certain that a millevoltmeter will be needed to diagnose the fault.

Surprisingly few engineers seem very knowledgeable about how to do that.

Tony

Dia it would not be the first t/couple that is on its way out and holds for a few minutes before it finally goes or is even just loose

Many thanks guys. I'll let you know what the 'new' gas fitter diagnoses. Annoying to think it's all been a waste of money, and yes the original gas fitter is registered. As an aside, we've had the boiler since 1999 and this is the first time we've had a problem. It was serviced in May and given we haven't been using it much, can't help but wonder if there's a link.

You may have had it since 1999 but I don't think it was new then!

I doubt there was any connection between service and current problem. I expect its age related!

Tony

Boston 2 s where still about till after 2000 but stopped by 2005

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back