What checks does a Gas safe engineer do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't a post from somebody doing DIY gas.

Could somebody explain what checks a registered gas safe and all round professional plumber would carry out on a distubed and subsequently re-configured gas line to a boiler?

I have had some work done and I am a little concerned

Sponsored Links
He would do a test at the meter that would only take a few minutes

They would inspect it where visible.
They would check that gas pipe in the installation was gas tight.
They would also check that appropriate fittings for gas had been
used.

Its better for you to tell us why you are concerned!

But first check that he was gas safe registered.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Water pipes look ok.
Wiring was well below any standard to my untrained eye.

Gas pipe, I was told would enter the house via a 22mm hole with the 15mm sheathed in a short length of 22mm copper presumably for protection. This is not the case and is 15mm in a 20mm hole with silicone at ends.

Have asked what tests he done to ensure gas tightness and he said he has drop tested it and also mentioned that there is no problem with it beacuse it wasn't like there's a smell of gas or anything.

Gassafe have been informed, and searches are ongoing, business name, business address and engineer's name and number have so far drawn a blank, so not confident despite the rather large Gassafe logo on his business stationary.

I have seen rogues wearing CORGI jackets but putting gas safe logos on stationary if not registered would be unusual.

You can do your own search on the Gas safe website and using find an installer and your or his postcode.

I would be surprised if he is not registered.

Pipes passing through walls should be in a rigid sleeve ( plastic or copper ) and sealed to the wall at both outsides and a single seal between the pipe and the sleeve on the INSIDE only.

Tony

Except when it is coming from a meter box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back