Building Control permission for Log Burner

Sponsored Links
Bit vague on what you’re doing exactly but if you intend to install a new stove DIY then, yes; unless you get it installed & certified by a HEATAS registered installer & get a certificate of compliance; such is life :rolleyes: . I'm having to jump through the very same hoops myself at this very moment!

cheers Richard, Yes I'm installing a new Log burner in an old fireplace that has had a new brick fierplace built, a bricklayer friend of mine is doing the work, and has done these installations before, but hadn't mentioned Building Control permission before. Is it compulsory? :D :D

Is it compulsory? :D :D
It is compulsory in the sense that you will be asked to supply a certificate of compliance for the installation as a part of HIPS when you come to sell & if you can’t produce one, it will be regarded as unauthorised building work as will any other notifyable building work. You will then have to pay for a post installation inspection which will is likely to cost a lot more than doing it now; then there is a risk it may be non compliant which could affect your sale. There is also the safety/insurance aspect of getting the flue wrong; this has a potential to suffocate you & your family or your insurance company declining to pay a claim in the event of a problem. The regs. are not that onerous & here is a summary of what you need to comply with;
http://www.firesonline.co.uk/acatalog/Stove-Building-Regulations.html

If your plan on DIY, you will need to submit a Building Notice (download it from the Planning Portal) & pay a fee - £97.75 when I looked last month.
http://www.cncbuildingcontrol.gov.uk/admin/files/building_notice.pdf

The other alternative is to use a HETAS installer who will provide the certificate of compliance you need without involving LABC. I’ve not finally decided yet but I will probably go the HETAS route mainly because I just don’t fancy getting up on the roof with an 8 metre long, 6 inch diameter stainless steel snake strapped to my back. You can download a list of installers in your area from the HETAS website;
http://www.hetas.co.uk/nearest_member

I had a couple around last week & am awaiting their written quotes. Some will try & charge you anything from £20 - £60, especially the shops; they will also try & insist you buy the stove from them at list price; I’m just awaiting delivery of mine this week @ some £300 cheaper than list. I don’t pay for quotes (wish I could charge for my quotes) & just crossed them off my list; the self employed independent engineers are the ones to go for & both the guys I had round were very helpful & more than happy for me to do the building works, leaving them just to install the liner, the fire & carry out the commissioning tests; basically a draught/smoke test.

Another tip is that if you plan on plaster walls, don’t use ordinary gypsum plaster or plasterboard near the stove; the plaster will only withstand 50 degrees & will blow & plasterboard, even the fire check ones, is regarded as combustible material due to the paper linings & so won’t comply. If you’ve any other questions come back as I’ve been going through the learning curve on this one myself over the last weeks or so. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Richard, very informative, you've answered all the questions that I had, and I now feel a lot more confident about the job.

Cheers Sideburn. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back