DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Speaker wire extension

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tessa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote

I get music from my computer sound surround and I would like to extend the wire on my speakers so that I can wall mount them. The current wire is black but white would blend up the wall better. I have no idea how I do this can anyone give me idiot proof instructions on what to use and how? icon_cry.gif
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
breezer

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote

(scratches chin, makes sucking noise through teeth, then speaks. "tough one this.!!!!!!!!!!"

you will have to remove the wire from the speaker, connect one end of new cable to speaker, connect other end of new wire to old wire.

connections should be suitable for the job. choc bloc will be fine, but ideally the new wire will be long enough to go from speaker to pc

by the way that just cost you 49.98, your credit card has been debited twice (sorry about that)
 Alert Moderators
felix

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Breezer almost said it all but, at that price, should have added one more thing. Your wire has two cores. DO NOT CROSS THEM OVER. If you do, the speaker will appear to work but the surround sound will not come out right. Then again, at least half the population would never notice!
 Alert Moderators
2scoops0406

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Tippex ?
 Alert Moderators
plugwash

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote

Tessa wrote:
I get music from my computer sound surround and I would like to extend the wire on my speakers so that I can wall mount them. The current wire is black but white would blend up the wall better. I have no idea how I do this can anyone give me idiot proof instructions on what to use and how? icon_cry.gif

computer speakers often have the amplifiers inside the speakers

the first question is what wires do you have connecting what to what in your speaker setup and what if any connections do they have on them?
 Alert Moderators
GRC

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote

plugwash wrote:
Tessa wrote:

computer speakers often have the amplifiers inside the speakers

the first question is what wires do you have connecting what to what in your speaker setup and what if any connections do they have on them?

GRC - I second the first question. Second question; are the speakers mains or battery operated? If mains, and the amplifiers are built in, the owner will have power & signal leads to worry about......

Regards, Graham
 Alert Moderators
Tessa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for all your adivce, cheap at 1/2 the price! The wires are sealed units and it all sounds too complicated for me so I'll call in an expert - would this be an electrician or a computer boff? icon_rolleyes.gif
 Alert Moderators
felix

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote

Your best choice is a computer or audio boffin, preferably one who will do it for a two cans of Carlsberg Special. Sorry but I'm too busy right now!
 Alert Moderators
Scoby_Beasley

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote

If your speakers plug into a jack on the back of your p.c., how about a straight forward extension lead ? Although personally, p.c.'s happen to have crap sound systems if you like your music
 Alert Moderators
GRC

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote

Tessa wrote:
Thanks for all your adivce, cheap at 1/2 the price! The wires are sealed units and it all sounds too complicated for me so I'll call in an expert - would this be an electrician or a computer boff? icon_rolleyes.gif

GRC - Don't be annoyed with me, but I think you give up WAY too easily. It's not difficult or complicated.

You could get some white sleeving to cover over the black wires; Maplin or similar electronic suppliers can supply this. However, you'd need to disconnect either the plug at the computer end, or the cable at the speaker end, to get the sleeve over the current cable (and its extension).
As someone pointed out, a simple extension lead would do the trick, but wouldn't get around the colour match failure.

The leads may be sealed into the speakers (i.e captive leads) but there's no reason you can't take the speakers apart to disconnect them and splice in some extension cable in white. Where there's a will there's a way.

Regards, Graham
 Alert Moderators
felix

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote

GRC is right. This isn't rocket science. If you can join two wire ends together, even if you only twist them and wrap them in insulting tape, (deliberate mis-spelling there) it will work. If all you have is two core wire then it's not difficult and it's not dangerous.

1) Choose a point at which to cut your existing wires.

2) Mark one core on each side of the cut point. (Very important.)

3) Splice in your new, black two core wire. DO NOT CROSS THOSE CORES OVER!

4) Job done. Drink the Carlsberg Special yourself.
 Alert Moderators
Tessa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote

felix wrote:
Your best choice is a computer or audio boffin, preferably one who will do it for a two cans of Carlsberg Special. Sorry but I'm too busy right now!

Pity, I would have stretched to 3 cans and a bag of crisps!

felix wrote:
GRC is right. This isn't rocket science. If you can join two wire ends together, even if you only twist them and wrap them in insulting tape, (deliberate mis-spelling there) it will work. If all you have is two core wire then it's not difficult and it's not dangerous.

1) Choose a point at which to cut your existing wires.

2) Mark one core on each side of the cut point. (Very important.)

3) Splice in your new, black two core wire. DO NOT CROSS THOSE CORES OVER!

4) Job done. Drink the Carlsberg Special yourself.

Sounded OK till you said "(Very important)" and "DO NOT CROSS THOSE CORES OVER"! What are the consequences if I did?

GRC wrote:
Tessa wrote:

GRC - Don't be annoyed with me, but I think you give up WAY too easily. It's not difficult or complicated.

You could get some white sleeving to cover over the black wires; Maplin or similar electronic suppliers can supply this. However, you'd need to disconnect either the plug at the computer end, or the cable at the speaker end, to get the sleeve over the current cable (and its extension).
As someone pointed out, a simple extension lead would do the trick, but wouldn't get around the colour match failure.

The leads may be sealed into the speakers (i.e captive leads) but there's no reason you can't take the speakers apart to disconnect them and splice in some extension cable in white. Where there's a will there's a way.

Regards, Graham

Sounds like I need a man that can, or wireless speakers!

Tessa, please note 10a
 Alert Moderators
Scoby_Beasley

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote

If you cross your wires, the speaker cone will be "pushing" when it should be "pulling". Now if you do it with both speakers you may not notice it, if you do it with one speaker, errrrrrm, you may not notice it icon_exclaim.gif But when you wire them up correctly you'll think "s**t man that special brew sure screwed up my hearing (and did I put them crisps in me ears ??)" icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
felix

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote

In non-technical terms, if you cross your speaker wires over nothing nasty will happen but it will sound wrong. The thing you are likely to notice most is a reduction in bass (low frequency) sound. There are plenty of people out there who would never notice this and you might be one of them but it costs nothing to get it right.
 Alert Moderators
new sparky

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote

If you extend the cables with two joints with one at the speaker end and one at the computer end you can hide the joints. You will not see the one behind the computer anyway, and if you make the other close enough to the speaker you will not be able to see it when the speakers are up on their brackets.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: