Ceiling Speakers

Lectrician said:
I have commonly used twin 1mm flex and larger for speakers - I can't see the problem at all.

Look at what they give you with a new stereo.... :rolleyes:

Are you saying you can't see the problem with bell wire, or you can't see the problem with spending 69p/m? Certainly you'd be spending 69p/m on 1mm twin flex if you bought if from a high street hardware store.

Sponsored Links
I can buy 100m of 1mm twin flex cheaper than a few meters of 'decent' speaker cable....

This really needs myth busting.

Lectrician,

maybe but you still aint comparing eggs with eggs. 1mm twin main cable vs 2mm 105 strand oxygen-free copper I know which I would choose for my audio...

selfbuildy,

79 strands @ 35p/m + VAT = 0.5p per strand
104 strands @ 69p/m inc VAT = 0.7p per strand

"much cheaper"? and you can walk into Richer Sounds, have a free coffee and lollipop (no I'm not joking) and walk out 5 minutes later without paying a penny for postage.

Anyway, in audio you get what you pay for, but I can see I'm talking to philistines on this forum, most of you probably think your £100 dixons mini-system sounds "really good" anyway...

Sponsored Links
and there was me thinking that this would be a straightforward excercise. To be honest, i woud'nt be that big into sound quality. The speakers i have are pretty basic in any case.

The Ohms rating is more of a consern. Is the problem with going over the 16OHM rating on the stereo? The fact that they are connected in parallel, does that make any difference?

27p unless ur silly enough to buy a cut length. Then u could go to nearest cafe and have eggs on eggs on toast with coffee and have a lollipop for desert :LOL: ;)

personally if it sounds good enough for you with the bellwire i'd leave it.

combining speakers in paralell reduces the impedance but as long as your stereo isn't running continuously at full volume it will almost certainly cope.

jimbox said:
Anyway, in audio you get what you pay for, but I can see I'm talking to philistines on this forum, most of you probably think your £100 dixons mini-system sounds "really good" anyway...

Well, I personally use Cat 5 cable, plaited together - I'm sure you know the method I mean, this is cheap and sounds absolutley fine to me. My system isn't £100 from dixons but isn't £1000's worth either - yammy amp and acoustic energy aesprit speakers.

Anyway, you seem to have fell into the old trap of paying lots & lots for hyped up speaker cable. Most of it is copper after all, and once you have a large enough conductor it shouldn;t be causing a restriction.

I have done a 'real world' test on my friends Arcam & Castle system, he was sold some expensive flat bi-wire cable when he bought his system. very expensive - can't remember make.

Anyway, one day I brought home some 4 core 4mm SY cable from work, bi-wired one speaker with this and left the other on his expensive cable. Yes - you could tell the difference, but not enough to make you shell out loads for the expensive cable. His original cable had a little more detail/crispness but the 4mm SY had a rounder sound with more bass.

Just my 2p worth :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back