Is a long single panel radiator better than a shorter Double

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just about to order STELRAD Softline radiators. All go underneath windows in various rooms. Most questions have been answered via this site.

Just sat here, phone in hand wondering if I should be ordering longer single panel single convector radiators or go for shorter double panel double convector radiators as replacement....

The originals were 2000mm long single panel rads. This is just about the total length of the windows.

Which ones would heat up a room quicker and be more efficient?? A 2000mm long single panel radiator with convector fins (like Stelrad Softline K1) or a 1200mm long Double panel Double Convector number (K2)??

uneducated guess suggests the 2000mm due to more surface area exposed to the room air...but there might be other important calcs I am not taking into consideration.. :confused:

TIA

Sponsored Links
large singles in front of a window tends to look a lot better than a small double stuck in the middle. Also it helps blanket the cold you will get from a large window better

Its about the output.
If you get a double it wont be as big.
A long single will be slimmer.
I think I would go for a double that was oversize for heat requirement, you can always set for lower but cannot get more out of a small one.

Longer rads give more even heat output to the room so should always be preferred.

Most installers think its easier to fit doubles and as there are often less brackets then it is.

Just not such a good job and what I would call a semi-cowboy because they choose to do a less than best job.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Use a heat loss calculator,plenty online and work out what output you need,from there you can choose what kind of radiator you require instead of guess work!

Aesthetically a long slim rad almost to the size of the window looks more pleasing to the eye,or maybe i am use to it being done this way

installer bashing again agile?

Thank you for the quick reply, folks.

I am aware of the BTU reqs, I am planning to install radiators slightly beyond the requirements, just as the DIYISFUN was thinking. The concern was one of aesthetics and of efficiently heating the entire area.

Although a small double puts out the BTU of a single that is almost 30% longer, I am not convinced it would do so, as quickly. Reason in my bird-brain is that the second panel is tucked away between the first and the wall - not as much airflow over it, apart from convection currents.

Righto, hows this for a plan; a 1200 double in each bedroom, and two 2000mm singles in a 30 foot lounge.

Thank you again, for clarifying things for me.

Aesthetically a long slim rad almost to the size of the window looks more pleasing to the eye,or maybe i am use to it being done this way

Most people think they look best a bit longer than the window ( which makes them about the same width as the curtains! ).

A 2000mm single is the same output as a double about 1200 as the rear panel is partly obstructed by the front panel.

If the Happy Plumber went for a hernia or knee repair job ( common repairs needed on plumbers ) then I am sure he would expect the surgeon to only do the best job possible.

In the same way I expect any plumber to also do the best job possible. Since the customer is paying thats even easier than for the surgeon who may have NHS targets to meet. In the plumber's case I think its justified to call those who choose to do a less than "best" job a semi-cowboy.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back